MobileTechReview.com logo
MobileTechReview News, Reviews and Forums
Phone Notebooks & Tablets Gaming Gadgets iPhone & iPad Video Reviews

General Discussions >> What Should I Buy?

Pages: 1
lunar

Reged: 02/05/04
PDA with good japanese capabilities?
      #8439 - 02/05/04 03:42 AM

Hi, I am a student studying japanese in japan now, and need an electronic dictionary to help my studies. since they cost around $200, i thought i might just get a full blown pda. my problem is, though, apparent lack of any decent japanese/english dictionaries available for palm or pocket pc. typically, these dictionaries give numerous, very broad translations with no context or explaination. many of them don't even display japanese kanji or kanas. I really would like a pda to tote around for their other capabilities, but the dictionary issue is number one for me, and i can't get ready to drop $400 if i still don't have myself a sufficient dictionary. can anyone recommend something (i already checked handango), or maybe a linux pda, or perhaps i should just buy the $200 standalone dictionary??? thanks, kev

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
Re: PDA with good japanese capabilities? [Re: lunar]
      #8441 - 02/05/04 06:17 AM

I'm working on a review of the Sharp Zaurus C860 right now, and it comes with a good dictionary as well as a Japanese-English/English->Japanese translator. Definitely worth a look, esp. since that model isn't as exorbitantly priced in the Japan home market.

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

lunar

Reged: 02/05/04
Re: PDA with good japanese capabilities? [Re: LisaG]
      #8458 - 02/06/04 03:43 AM

Sounds interesting Lisa; I 'm looking forward to your review. Could you post or send me some screenshots (of the dictionary program) if you have a chance? Thanks. I also /may/ have found a nice palm program "PocketLingo Japanese - Kenkyusha New Collegiate Dictionary by HLCSoft, LLC," which looks to be by far the best program i've run across; it has all the features of the standalones and then some, tied with a great interface. it's fairly heavy at over 20megs, but that's what i need

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
Re: PDA with good japanese capabilities? [Re: lunar]
      #8486 - 02/08/04 06:33 PM

The review has been posted here: http://www.pdabuyersguide.com/sharp_zaurus_C860.htm

I could try to screen shot the translator, but the interface isn't too exciting: it's a split screen with the passage from the language you need to translate at the top, and the translation at the bottom.

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 6 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Board Mom, LisaG, Jacob_Spindel, Greg, Tong Zhang 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2633

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage