Phone Notebooks & Tablets Gaming Gadgets iPhone & iPad Video Reviews

Windows Mobile, Pocket PCs >> HP iPAQ Pocket PC

Pages: 1
DavidA

Reged: 02/25/04
Loc: Texas
iPAQ 41XX Additional Memory Stratagies
      #9163 - 03/10/04 09:57 AM

I've read the pdf manual and seen several postings regarding additional SD memory for the iPAC 41XX. Seems easy and straight forward but I have a couple of questions and am seeking opinions on the most effective way to manage extra memory before I buy additional SD cards ...

For now, 256MB SD cards seem to be the best trade off of capacity vs cost. Any advantage in going "whole hog" with a 512MB SD card?

What about the "high speed" SD cards, any significant operational advantage for the added cost?

Are there any known problems with partciular brand/size SD cards and the iPAC 41XX PDAs?

Once the additional memory is in place, is there a simply way of moving application programs and data files already installed in the "native" memory to the new expanded memory? (realizing that the OS and HP supplied utility programs will need to stay in native memory) Or is it best to just reload the application software and data files.

And by the way, how do you load additional software/files into added memory rather than native memory? (Or does native memory simply "fill up" first then anything new goes to added memory?)

Finally, assuming one has loaded several special application programs into added memory, are there any consequences of swapping added memory cards. For example, I envision having an extra memory chip dedicated to specialized programs (or specialized files for data, music, etc.) that are used inferquently, popping it in only as needed. Will that cause problems with the settings/programs menu? Or will settings/program automatically "recognize" on the fly, changes in programs stored in added memory as chips are swapped out?

Comments please.

David A.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Ken_Malaysia

Reged: 12/16/03
Re: iPAQ 41XX Additional Memory Stratagies [Re: DavidA]
      #9183 - 03/10/04 07:33 PM

Hi David

I will reply based on what I understand

a) If u want to get just 1 card....Get as high as u can. It works really like an external hard disk
b) high speed SD cards - it is best to try it ON the spot.,... If it is compatible, you will see it under File explorer -> My device-->Storage cards. To further confirm, copy a picture from another folder (simply high light the file--> press on the file for 2 seconds --> choose copy from drop down menu. Go to Storage Card ---> press on the white area for 2 seconds...choose paste and u see it there). Try open it and if the picture works..then the card works....

Honestly, u need to consider the additional speed versus the cost.
I am using a 256 normal SD and it does not appear any delay. If any, I think the CPU of the 4150 is having difficulties speeding up the processing.

b) Setting up programs
U would like to know...all setting up is done via the PC via USD link or IR. Fastest via USB (with the cradle..but becareful when you tap the screen with the cradle....the connection can be intterupted..I think HP needs to think about this cradle..the footing is not stable).....

Anyway, the installation is done via the PC (almost 99% of the time). At times, a question or warning pop up on the 4150.

OK...during installation, they do prompt you whether u would like to have it installed at default location (it meant the memory chip in the 4150) or somewhere else (in this case, u can choose the storage card ..HOWEVER..the OS has a mind of its own...it decides which and where the program should be installed...so..there is really no fixed answer here).

What I would recommend is have external storage for things like pictures, music and excel and words file and most important e-mail attachments. If you budget is available..you can have 1 for each. 256 SD can take up to around 70 MP3 music more or less.....anyway, by doing so, you will have a lot of internal memory for programs..(which I discovered are quite small compared to those meant for our PC)...

Again...like I said...this is NOT a PC for full force work...it is something to help us "carry on with life" while on the move.

So..bottom line is ...DO not over invest and then get frustrated when u found out u have limited use of the machine...

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  LisaG, Jacob_Spindel, Tong Zhang 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2587

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage