MobileTechReview News, Reviews and Forums
Phone Notebooks & Tablets Gaming Gadgets iPhone & iPad Video Reviews

Windows Mobile, Pocket PCs >> HP iPAQ Pocket PC

Pages: 1
twinswin

Reged: 03/26/04
Internet Access
      #9550 - 03/26/04 03:17 PM

I have the 2215 with the linksys CF Wi-Fi card. It works like a champ with my home 802.11b wireless network and every other wireless network for that matter, I love it.

I am going home this weekend and in my hometown they have broadband interent from the cable company but I am certain that nobody there has a wireless network set up. I would really rather not have to drive around town blindly looking for a wireless network to suck off of.

Is there a device that will allow me to access the internet and email without wires using other computers that are connected to broadband internet? For instance, a small usb device that I can just plug into a friends computer and configure to use his connection to the internet via bluetooth for email and internet on the 2215.

I have read the reviews of the Belkin USB bluetooth adapter and it still is not clear to me if that would work for this application.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,
BaJ

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
Re: Internet Access [Re: twinswin]
      #9583 - 03/27/04 06:48 AM

Your best bet would be a WiFI USB adapter (you'd set up Internet connection sharing on the desktop or notebook PC to share the connection with your iPAQ). I believe they sell for around $50.

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
Re: Internet Access [Re: ]
      #9657 - 03/31/04 01:15 AM

Why do you say that? They work fine for me and many other folks. They're certainly adequate to provide Internet access in a pinch, which is what the poster needs.

Quote:

Do not get USB Bluetooth adapter. Waste of money.

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

twinswin

Reged: 03/26/04
Re: Internet Access [Re: twinswin]
      #9671 - 03/31/04 03:41 PM

I went with the netgear MA111 usb 802.11b usb adapter ($49.99). Installed it, set it up in Ad-Hoc mode and it worked great on an XP machine. Did not however have such good luck on a Win2000 professional system. I spent about a half and hour messing around and never did get the pda to hook up. All in all I was happy with the outcome and the device is small like a usb flash drive so it fits right in your pocket.

Thanks for the advice,
Bruce

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  LisaG, Jacob_Spindel, Tong Zhang 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3520

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage