Phone Notebooks & Tablets Gaming Gadgets iPhone & iPad Video Reviews

Palm OS PDAs >> Sony Clie

Pages: 1
nausicaa

Reged: 04/05/04
Loc: Seoul, Korea
extra warranty worth it?
      #9851 - 04/07/04 01:36 AM

Hi, I'm expecting a Sony Clie (NX80V) as a present.
I noticed that on some websites, I can buy an extra warranty within 30 days of when the unit was actually purchased.
One such warranty is the Philips/Magnavox warranty: US$45 for 2 years, US$99 for 3 years, US$139 for 4 years.

I'm not sure if I should spend out of pocket to buy a warranty (when I would rather be spending out of pocket buying programs or a WiFi card).
Plus, the Clie comes with a 1 year warranty (if I understand things correctly).

I'm pretty careful with personal electronic equipment and I don't have any small children, so I figure there won't be any big (user-caused) disasters. And in the event there IS a huge meltdown, maybe sending it in to Sony for repairs would cost about the same as the warranty? (or is this assumption merely groundless optimism?)

On the other hand, if the machine is subject to lots of little problems, then maybe buying an extra warranty is worth it so I don't feel too burdened by accumulating extra costs if frequent small repairs are in my near future?

- Do people who already have Clies find that the machine needs to get fixed every once in awhile?
- Is getting an extra warranty (which is not even from Sony) worth it?
Any advice?

p.s. I saw the debate on batteries, but I figure warranties don't cover batteries?
(And geez, it seems to me that while certainly there is a lot of corporate scheming to glean ever greater profits from hapless consumers, on the other hand, sometimes there ARE other limitations/considerations that motivate companies to use batteries that are not easily replaceable-- maybe the stuff needed to put an easily-replaceable battery on the machine would mean shifting around the machine's innards in a way that makes it too thick to be appealing... maybe the machine would be more vulnerable to humidity unless other design changes were also undertaken... etc. etc. I'm not sure we can conclude that it is pure malice, although I agree that a lot of corporations ARE really greedy/inconsiderate and I totally SYMPATHIZE with dave99's distress! Yet, I really DO think that most likely, technical considerations were in play on the easily-replaceable battery thing. maybe I'm just naive, but one of my cousins works in the lithium-ion/lithium-polymer battery business, and technology isn't as easy and malleable to our desires as we would suppose... uh, did I spell replaceable correctly?)

p.s.p.s. Should I buy an extra battery for the Clie NX80V now in anticipation of future (possible) unavailability of such replacements two years down the line (year 2006)?

Edited by nausicaa (04/07/04 01:49 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Greg, Jacob_Spindel 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1666

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage