MobileTechReview.com logo
MobileTechReview News, Reviews and Forums
Phone Notebooks & Tablets Gaming Gadgets iPhone & iPad Video Reviews

General Discussions >> What Should I Buy?

Pages: 1
Varjeal

Reged: 05/27/04
Another "what do I buy?" 'cept this time from a locksmith.
      #11411 - 05/27/04 03:01 PM

I'm virtually new to the whole PDA thing, but am curious and interested in the whole topic.

My interest has increased greatly since the display on my laptop died, and I wasn't too interested in paying the $800 Canadian to replace it (the screen) with a "used" one.

Hopefully some of you experts can help. Here's what my dream machine would be able to do.

1. Be able to view (no need to edit) .pdf files.
2. Be able to have my code software installed on it, or remote access home computer.
3. Be able to hook up to printer. (USB ports on these?)
4. Email.
5. Be able to make/edit word documents.
6. Built in camera would be nice, but not necessary.

Am I dreaming? or does such a thing exist? Am I stuck with a "full-size" lap-top for now?
Basically what I'm trying to get into is a "portable" office unit since I am primarily a mobile business, and don't have the space for all the full-size gadgetry.

The closest thing I've found (so far) was a Sony model, but I'm not familiar with all the brands so any suggestions on specific models would be much appreciated.

Did some checking around....
The Toshiba e805 and Dell Axiom look like pretty decent deals. Opinions? Comments? Will these actually do what I want?

Edited by Varjeal (05/27/04 06:34 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
Re: Another "what do I buy?" 'cept this time from a locksmith. [Re: Varjeal]
      #11471 - 05/28/04 11:55 PM

Many current PDAs can do what you list- look at the ones with cameras if you'd like that feature. By code, I'm guessing you mean software that can store codes? There are database apps for Palm and Pocket PC that do that.

For printing, you'll need a printer with an IR or Bluetooth port as most PDAs don't have USB ports that can hook up to PC peripherals such as printers.

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

Varjeal

Re: Another "what do I buy?" 'cept this time from a locksmith. [Re: LisaG]
      #11485 - 05/29/04 10:56 AM

O.k...been reading a lot over the past couple of days, and can therefore hopefully ask more intelligent questions...

Thanks for the info so far btw.

1. Concerning code software, will I be able to run Windows-based software on a PDA, or do I need software that's specifically designed for a PDA?

2. Can you recommend a printer(s) that does/do have an IR or Bluetooth port. At this time I've been unable to find such.

Thanks again for the assistance. This is truly a helpful site.

tonyw

Reged: 05/24/04
Loc: Vancouver, BC Canada
      #11491 - 05/29/04 12:31 PM

Hi,
Regarding running PC software on a PDA: a Sony PDA, which uses the Palm operating system, will not be able to run the PC software. My guess is the PDAs running the pocket PC version of Windows won't either.

If your PC software allows you to export the lock codes to a file, you should be able to transfer the codes as a list to your new PDA. To help with searching for the right lock or key number, you might be able to import your lock codes into the address book where for instance company=lock manufacturer, lastname=lock model, firstname=lock serial number and phonenumber=the tumbler sequence you need.

-Tony

Edited by tonyw (05/29/04 12:33 PM)

Tong ZhangModerator
Senior Editor

Reged: 06/26/02
      #11495 - 05/29/04 01:05 PM

Quote:

1. Concerning code software, will I be able to run Windows-based software on a PDA, or do I need software that's specifically designed for a PDA?

No, you will not be able to run software developed for Windows desktop machines on the Pocket PCs. WinCE is based on Windows architecture, but still a different OS than Windows XP, for example. For software to run on Pocket PCs, they have to be written for the handheld processors and compiled to run on WinCE.

Quote:

2. Can you recommend a printer(s) that does/do have an IR or Bluetooth port. At this time I've been unable to find such.

Thanks again for the assistance. This is truly a helpful site.

There are quite a few printers have IR prots. Do a search on hp and epson sites, you might find them there. As for Bluetooth, if you can't find BT enabled printers, you can get adapters like this one:

http://www.pdabuyersguide.com/tips/anycom_BT.htm

If you really can't find a IR printer you like, there are adapters for that as well:

http://secure.proporta.com/proporta/F02/PPF02P05.php?t_id=270&t_mode=des&morecat=true

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

#11500 - 05/29/04 02:03 PM

PDAs cannot run software made for Windows PCs.
If you get a Pocket PC, you'll need to get software made for that platform. There are several database apps that can sync to desktop databases however, so if you have the codes in a db friendly format (like MS Access) that would be one solution.

HP makes a few printers with IR ports. HP also makes a Bluetooth printer. The LaserJet 5P, 5MP, 6P), 6MP, 2100 and 2200 have IR, as does the Deskject 350.

You could also get a Bluetooth printer adapter such as the Anycom one reviewed on our site: http://www.pdabuyersguide.com/tips/anycom_BT.htm . This adapter works with printers that have a parallel port.

--------------------
Lisa Gade

Edited by LisaG (05/29/04 02:04 PM)

Nisee

Reged: 05/29/04
Re: Another "what do I buy?" 'cept this time from a locksmith. [Re: LisaG]
      #11512 - 05/29/04 06:15 PM

I am also a person interested in getting into PDAs and have been reading this dialogue, but now I think I am a little confused. Are you saying that the Microsoft Word and Wicrosoft Excel that are on these Pocket PC/Phones are not compatible with the versions on the PC? Does that mean that if I create a document on the Pocket PC that I can't transfer it and edit it on my PC?

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Re: Another "what do I buy?" 'cept this time from a locksmith. [Re: Nisee]
      #11514 - 05/29/04 06:34 PM

Pocket Word and Excel on the Pocket PC were designed especially for Pocket PCs and can read and write Word and Excel documents. It just means that you can't install Word for Windows PC on a Pocket PC-- the program must be compiled for the platform. Think of it as MS Word for the PC and Mac: they both work with Word documents, but you can't install Word for Windows on a Mac, you must use the Mac version.

Quote:

I am also a person interested in getting into PDAs and have been reading this dialogue, but now I think I am a little confused. Are you saying that the Microsoft Word and Wicrosoft Excel that are on these Pocket PC/Phones are not compatible with the versions on the PC? Does that mean that if I create a document on the Pocket PC that I can't transfer it and edit it on my PC?

--------------------
Lisa Gade

EDboston

Reged: 05/29/04
      #11517 - 05/29/04 08:34 PM

This is a reply / question. You mentioned accessing your pc, I have seen the gotomypc.com saying that you can do that. I wasn't sure if anyone has had any experience using this on a pda?

tonyw

Reged: 05/24/04
Loc: Vancouver, BC Canada
Tangent to original "what do I buy?" from a locksmith. Remote access. [Re: EDboston]
      #11533 - 05/30/04 01:05 PM

Regarding remote control of a PC from a PDA, also check out http://www.btinternet.com/~harakan/PalmVNC/. VNC allows remote access of another computer. You see what is on the other person's screen and you can remotely control the keyboard and mouse. Great for support, teaching, trouble shooting. For the PC and Unix versions, check out www.realvnc.com. Best thing is both programs are freeware (or by donation if you so choose)

I think for Varjeal's application to remotely access the locksmith information on his home computer, the PDA will need a connection to the home computer either via landline modem, wireless, connection to LAN, or cell phone wireless. Except for cell phone wireless, my guess is the other 3 forms of connection won't necessarily be available at all client's premises. Another option to keep size down is to check out a small laptop (e.g., Panasonic Toughbooks, small and durable (and expensive)). Life is so full of tradeoffs.

Quote:

This is a reply / question. You mentioned accessing your pc, I have seen the gotomypc.com saying that you can do that. I wasn't sure if anyone has had any experience using this on a pda?

Edited by tonyw (05/30/04 01:13 PM)

Varjeal

#11671 - 06/02/04 12:29 PM

Hmm...lots of info to absorb....thanks everyone.

Varjeal

More questions, hopefully smarter ones. [Re: Varjeal]
      #11849 - 06/07/04 03:47 PM

It looks like the cell-phone wireless with remote access would be my best option....I'll have to check out the cost issues, but the idea seems reasonable enough at this point.

Other than the actual PDA, all I would then need to accomplish my ultimate goal is internet access (through the cell phone) and a compatible printer. This is starting to sound way more reasonable than purchasing a laptop.

Based on that, what would be your top two choices for this setup?

Also, how reasonably secure would this setup be, and what measures can be taken as far as passwords/encoding/encryption?

Thanks again.

Edited by Varjeal (06/07/04 04:01 PM)

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Board Mom, LisaG, Jacob_Spindel, Greg, Tong Zhang 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 7334

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage