MobileTechReview.com logo
MobileTechReview News, Reviews and Forums
Phone Notebooks & Tablets Gaming Gadgets iPhone & iPad Video Reviews

General Discussions >> What Should I Buy?

Pages: 1
soultyegg

Reged: 06/02/04
I need a pda that functions just like writing on a notebook
      #11663 - 06/02/04 08:53 AM

I am a med school student and every morning when I go to the hospital, my superior will start shouting out orders like a machine gun and I need a pda to write everything she says down. I know pda is perfect for contact list and to-do list and all that no-hurry memo, but which one would work just like writing on a peace of paper?? or every pda works just fine?? thx

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
Re: I need a pda that functions just like writing on a notebook [Re: soultyegg]
      #11783 - 06/05/04 01:07 PM

Yep, all PDAs allow you to write on the screen as if using a pad of paper and pen.

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

Kikuchiyo

Reged: 04/15/04
Re: I need a pda that functions just like writing on a notebook [Re: LisaG]
      #11808 - 06/05/04 09:30 PM

LisaG, I feel I must disagree. Sounds to me like Soultyegg wants an input style more like a Tablet PC than a grafitti area. writing in the grafitti area in the proper script takes patience and practice, while digital ink and OneNote is more natural. I don't know anything about PPC2003, but if the input system is similar to Palms', then I'd advise Soultyegg to go with a Tablet and avoid PalmOS devices. (This from a 3-Visor owner)

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
Re: I need a pda that functions just like writing on a notebook [Re: Kikuchiyo]
      #11813 - 06/06/04 12:11 PM

One of the input systems used by Tablet PC actually is taken intact and exactly from Pocket PC- it's the PPC character recognizer. You can also write in script using Pocket PC, or use a clone of Grafitti or use an on-screen keyboard. You must check out PPCs before you dismiss them. They were the starting point for the development of the tablet after all.

Anyhow it sounded like he just wanted to write using digital ink, without recognition and all PDAs have that feature and cost much less than a tablet PC.

Quote:

LisaG, I feel I must disagree. Sounds to me like Soultyegg wants an input style more like a Tablet PC than a grafitti area. writing in the grafitti area in the proper script takes patience and practice, while digital ink and OneNote is more natural. I don't know anything about PPC2003, but if the input system is similar to Palms', then I'd advise Soultyegg to go with a Tablet and avoid PalmOS devices. (This from a 3-Visor owner)

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

Kikuchiyo

Reged: 04/15/04
Re: I need a pda that functions just like writing on a notebook [Re: LisaG]
      #11835 - 06/07/04 11:19 AM

Sorry, I think I came across wrong. I was trying to point out a weakness of PalmOS - the limited grafitti area and need to learn a script for recognition. Sure, one could use a scribbler-type app to write and save notes, but without recognition, which I presumed he wanted.

I wasn't dismissing PPC's, rather, my reference to them was meant to be that I didn't know what they're capable of. Are they limited to writing in a small grafitti area, or can one write anywhere on the screen and have it recognized as on a Tablet? (answered by your previous post, thanks) Again betraying my assumption that recognition was important. Re-reading the original post, I see that my assumption that reecognition was a requirement was unfounded.

I'd still recommend something other than a PalmOS device for this particular application. If one can write and have recognition anywhere on a PPC screen, then I'd suggest a PPC or Tablet.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Board Mom, LisaG, Jacob_Spindel, Greg, Tong Zhang 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3104

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage