MobileTechReview.com logo
MobileTechReview News, Reviews and Forums
Phone Notebooks & Tablets Gaming Gadgets iPhone & iPad Video Reviews

Wireless and Mobile Phones >> 802.11b / WiFi cards and networking

Pages: 1
tonyw

Reged: 05/24/04
Loc: Vancouver, BC Canada
Will this work? Router --> wireless router --> PDA with wifi?
      #11749 - 06/04/04 01:18 PM

Hi,
I'm shopping for a PDA to use as a laptop replacement for short trips and meetings where I don't need the power of a laptop. The Sony Clie TH55 fits most of the bill. It has WiFi except most meeting rooms, hotel rooms, and business offices I visit don't have WiFi. But most places have a LAN and ethernet jack into which I have been plugging in my laptop.

Can I just plug a wifi router into the LAN and the PDA will have connection to the LAN and Internet? I'm assuming the RJ45 socket in the client's office is coming from a router elsewhere in the building, can I just daisy chain another router (this time a wifi one)? Anyone have any success with daisy chaining routers?

The wifi router I'm looking at is a netgear one that is relatively small and light, about the size of pocket book, so am willing to carry that around.

Thanks for any advice.

-Tony

Edited by tonyw (06/04/04 01:46 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
tonyw

Reged: 05/24/04
Loc: Vancouver, BC Canada
Re: Will this work? Router --> wireless router --> PDA with wifi? [Re: tonyw]
      #11822 - 06/06/04 10:05 PM

Here's an update on my search...

Seems I can daisy chain (connect) a wireless router to another router. (See netgear article). I would need to turn off DHCP addressing (so the 2nd router won't issue IP addresses). The second thing I need to do is assign the 2nd router an IP address outside the range used by the 1st router. Seems straight forward.

But sales people suggest I probably shouldn't stick a wireless access point on someone's LAN, behind their firewall. Good point. A work around is to use MAC addressing (assuming PDAs can do that) to limit the wireless router to communicate only with the one PDA. Still I'm sure the client's IT folks would have a bird.

Kikuchiyo

Reged: 04/15/04
Re: Will this work? Router --> wireless router --> PDA with wifi? [Re: tonyw]
      #11836 - 06/07/04 11:45 AM

You're absolutely right that IT would blow a gasket for you setting up a wireless router behind their firewall. But, there's a lot of things you could do to make it less open to others (might mollify the IT guy when you get caught, but he'll still be torqued) These include setting the router to not broadcast the SSID, making the SSID something unique and unguessable, using the strongest encrytion your card will support, and using MAC adressing on the router. I do all of these on my home router. MAC addressing is set on the router (not the handheld), by telling it to only allow a particular item to access.

Given that it's only temporary and short range access that you want, have you considered a Bluetooth to Ethernet router? I don't know what the security issues may be. If it's something worth pursueing, ask LisaG, she runs a BT access point.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  LisaG, Jacob_Spindel 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4850

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage