Wireless and Mobile Phones >> Windows Phone

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)
BlckBrryMD

Reged: 06/20/04
Loc: New York
Re: WMPE2003 Upgrade for Samsung I700 [Re: ]
      #12533 - 06/24/04 05:39 PM

Hot News Flash - I700 Upgrade Launch Date

First off I feel honored the Equus left me a voice mail so I could post the goods for him. He was on his way home and still had six hours to go in the car, not fun if you ask me.

So he called my mobile to let me know that according to his Verizon contact (you know the VP at Verizon he mentioned a couple of pages back) the update will be launched at the end of next week.

So the WMPE2003 Upgrade is going to happen somewhere around July 1st or 2nd. Since we have always been told software is uploaded on Thursdays I figure July 2nd.

He was told the stores will get the software updates in the computer, the upgrade will NOT fry our I700?s. So this is good news.

As always do not kill the messenger (me or Equus in this case). So lets all get ready to rock and roll next week with the WMPE2003 upgrade.

Ya-Hoo.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
      #12637 - 06/28/04 12:41 AM

Other than the usual bug fixes that come with new OS releases, Windows Mobile 2003 is faster overall, and networking has been improved in terms of speed and newbie-friendliness (it has zero config networking like Windows XP). Also Pocket IE was improved and is faster and supports more current standards. So the i700 should be faster overall with the upgrade and Pocket IE would be much improved.

Quote:

Could someone please tell me what's in the upgrade that attracts so much attention? You probably guessed that I'm a newbie.

Any info would be appreciated.

Carlos

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

BlckBrryMD

Re: WMPE2003 Upgrade for Samsung I700 [Re: LisaG]
      #12677 - 06/28/04 06:15 PM

The speed is a big thing the OS was X-Scale optimized so its really meant for the processors in todays pda's and our I700. This link will take you to the tour and show you all the great improvements you will soon be able to enjoy.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobile/products/pocketpcphone/about/2003/default.mspx

PIE improvements, dual volume controls (one each for phone volume and system) mute, Always on Data connection, better active sync stability, SMS enhancements and many more.

BlckBrryMD

Re: WMPE2003 Upgrade for Samsung I700 [Re: BlckBrryMD]
      #12700 - 06/29/04 12:09 PM

Once again Verizon has give us the fuzz out of their pockets. The word from Verizon is no WMPE2003 this week and no new date set. Many wonder why many are so interested in the update to begin with.

For me its, yes I want the update to take advantage of the improvements in the OS for speed of the processor and battery life. But the other features are increasingly necessary like .NET if you want to run certapps like MS voice command.

Ultimately for me its about the fact that Verion cares little about the customers who spend $550-750 (depending on when you bought and how long they have you for) and many like me are tired of the deception and lack of upfront information. Regardless of the upgrade for me I am looking at the next WMPE200x device and its going to be unlocked and that way I can change carriers and take my phone # with me.

BlckBrryMD

#12736 - 06/29/04 06:34 PM

Unfortunately Samsung blames Verizon and Verizon blames Samsung. Either way its mute since there is a radio stack involved and the "tight integration" BS that VzW keeps repeating indicates that it will only come from Verizon. I just doubt my next WMPE device will come from either Verizon or Samsung at this rate.

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

#12741 - 06/29/04 07:51 PM

I believe it's Verizon's fault, not Samsung's. I've spoken with Samsung's product manager for smartphones (i600 and i700) and the whole issue gets her pretty hot and bothered. Samsung had the upgrade ready to go since Spring, but Verizon, being the carrier, has control over final testing on their network and the release date to customers.

--------------------
Lisa Gade

BlckBrryMD

#12751 - 06/29/04 09:17 PM

Thanks Lisa, its nice to know someone at Samsung actually cares about their product. So you think the latest rumor is true that Samsung will host the update and if so is there any indication of a time frame?

Thanks.

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

#12754 - 06/29/04 10:17 PM

No idea on whether the latest rumors are true. I personally have given up believing them, as it always seems someone is saying "next week" but it never materializes. I can't even ask the product manager from Samsung- she doesn't even want to talk about it anymore!

--------------------
Lisa Gade

BlckBrryMD

#12773 - 06/30/04 11:51 AM

Thanks Lisa. That pretty much sums up my thinking, Verizon and Samsung no longer care in my opinion and if they actually release it I will be shocked. The date has slipped far too many times and now I am looking for the next gen converged device. The carrier is important, but I must consider form and function too. We sent a letter to Verizon and they hve not responded and the lies keep piling up. Ultimately if I lived in a major metro market I would be gone, but in my area GSM/GPRS is not as stong and Sprint simply stinks at CS.

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

#12778 - 06/30/04 01:33 PM

I do think Samsung cares, but they're getting a little bitter about the whole thing and hence don't want to even discuss it. They have no control over it, yet they have to suffer the loss of face .

--------------------
Lisa Gade

BlckBrryMD

#12792 - 06/30/04 07:20 PM

That I understand, and while I can understand my feeling is they should just release the upgrade. Verizon has shown nothing but contempt to Samsung first the I600 and now the I700. Samsung has launched the OS updates in Korea and Verizon will and HAS supplied the I700 to corporate customers. Some non corporate customers even have it.

I am going to contact the Verizon Rep and let them know as a 9 year Verizon customer that if they are not going to update it then they need to tell us and then the exodus can begin.

Some users say the I700 works fine as it is, and yes it does, BUT, it was advertised as having always on data connection, which it won't until WMPE2003 gets ont it. Microsoft knows about a security problem with PIE and they fixed it in WMPE2003 and with that Verizon is obligated to fix a known bug. This and a few other tid bits will be the point of my call. I will give fair opportunity to explain away the reasons for the delay then I will craft a simple yet concise letter to the NYS Public Service Commission and the NYS Attorney Generals Office to file a notice of complaint about the problems.

Thats my take on it. It is too bad for Samsung and now they know Verizon treats them like dirt too.

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

#12822 - 07/01/04 12:50 PM

I can understand and do appreciate the quality of both VZW's hardware and network. And I know that they spend a long time (longer than any other carrier) qualifying devices and upgrade. It just seems to have gone on too long at this point. The 2003 beta has been out and in developers' and certain customers' hands since March! They have all said great things about the upgrade and not suffered glaring bugs or the need to call support. So after four months, you'd think it might be ready! And talk of the upgrade started around January, which doesn't help matters...

The i700 itself took so long to qualify that the 2003 OS was released on devices shortly after the introduction of the i700 by VZW. Here it is 2004, and the device is still running the 2002 OS. The i700 is a power-user's phone and power users particularly like to have the current (or one step behind, now that 2003 Second Edition is out) OS. They are the wrong crowd to keep waiting. That's why you see so many complaining.

Mind you, the i700 is a fantastic device, even with the 2002 OS. It's a feature-rich unit with great reception and the VZW network to back it up. I do think it's time to update the unit before power users fail to consider it as an option however.

And welcome to our boards, VZW Agent!

--------------------
Lisa Gade

equus0400

Reged: 06/18/04
Loc: Milpitas,CA
      #12825 - 07/01/04 01:21 PM

It is very hard for me to believe it takes a year to "verify" compatibility. That to me is the silliest excuse ever used in the Electronics Industry. Many Electronic devices have almost a year or two life-span from Cradle to Grave... and VZW needs a year to verify compatability!!!? this is very hilarious to me...then again I have been in this Electronics Industry since I was 18 years of age and my retirement is coming up in a few years....and this makes a good laugh at break time....Thanks anyway for enlightening me in the process VZW uses to verify "upgrades".
This is really confusing to me..I am lost here..Quote>>>
""Once a user purchases a PDA (or any other device) for Verizon service, VzW is committed to supporting that device. Before they release it, VzW runs the device thru their own (separate from manufacturer) extensive system testing, and develops support algorythms. They make sure the device is totally compatible with their infrastructure - and REQUIRE modifications from manufacturers to meet compatibility (the 7135 I tried in January at CES had dozens of mods before it was finally released). Then, in order to support that device, they craft detailed troubleshooting scenerios"".
How do you craft a detailed troubleshooting scenario?
What is a support algorythm?
Device to be compatible with infrastructure?
Sorry I am asking questions to the statement you made cause it so way over my head!!!. Please in a laymans term what does that mean?

--------------------
I thaw a putty tat..I did..I did

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

#13028 - 07/08/04 12:34 PM

Verizon is now saying July 12th. We'll see .

--------------------
Lisa Gade

equus0400

Reged: 06/18/04
Loc: Milpitas,CA
      #13030 - 07/08/04 12:59 PM

I just got the call at 8am today on that...time will tell.so after this what's next

--------------------
I thaw a putty tat..I did..I did

BlckBrryMD

Re: WMPE2003 Upgrade for Samsung I700 [Re: equus0400]
      #13036 - 07/08/04 01:21 PM

It's sad to say but mentally I have already moved onto the next phase of coverged technology and it will NOT be with Verizon. I will say they have great network coverage, support has been better than the others but you have to call back a couple times.

With that I do want the WMPE2003 so that when I sell my I700 it will still retain some market value. Due to the coverage I will jut go dual carrier with VzW being the non coverged carrier. This means less profit to VzW from me in hardware and phone use. I won't be upgrading as often and spending as much. Once GSM becomes completely equal then VzW will retire to a pay as you go phone.

I sell high end technology and you need to sell it while its still has value and Verizon just doesn't or won't understand that. They still get most of their profits from the drama queens and their moms who want matching phones to go with their matching outfits.

I am a power user who cannot use the promised features of always on data and the security bug in PIE that they must fix. So if its money (which it must be) then charge us and let us be the ones to choose.

prott1

Reged: 07/01/04
      #13045 - 07/08/04 01:41 PM

Just talked to a Verizon rep who was very nice, but said she would check it out for me. Came back on and said they had no memos or info on it at this time. Does anyone know anything more updated..... This stinks....

BlckBrryMD

Re: WMPE2003 Upgrade for Samsung I700 [Re: prott1]
      #13157 - 07/11/04 07:52 PM

Good chance tomorrow is the day for us. The Treo600 is being launched and the rumors say the I600 update and the I700 are coming as well. D/L from vzw and at the store. So call your local store tomorrow and check back here to find out.

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

#13186 - 07/12/04 02:23 PM

Now I hear that Verizon is saying the 16th. . . *sigh*

--------------------
Lisa Gade

BlckBrryMD

#13193 - 07/12/04 06:54 PM

Lisa at least Verizon gave you a date. I called two stores today, one said anyday and to call back the other said he was told they wouldn't be doing it since they could lose the customers data, doh, we need to hard reset anyways and install fresh.

So I called Data TS and they said Verizon keeps delaying it so they can get the install perfect or else they won't do it. I politely said that will never happen then since we are using Acitve Sync which is not the best app to begin with.

She did say that they were going to launch the Treo600 (not worth the money) and they would also carry the new Treo Ace or upgraded Treo600 (yeah maybe in a year). She couldn't comment about other phones and I said they have until the end of July to get me the update thats it.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  LisaG, Jacob_Spindel 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 32619

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage