MobileTechReview News, Reviews and Forums
Phone Notebooks & Tablets Gaming Gadgets iPhone & iPad Video Reviews

General Discussions >> Miscellaneous

Pages: 1
Board MomModerator

Reged: 02/27/02
Re: Shoehorn mini into suburban [Re: ]
      #1255 - 03/23/02 06:56 PM

You're in luck, I happen to be a car geek as well as a PDA geek ;-)
That said, what do you think of a more simple solution: Using a Palm OS PDA to do the same thing? If that sounds good to you, check out http://www.auterraweb.com/

If you still want to go the mini-laptop route, they do not have special power requirements. As far as the hard drive and bouncing goes, if you don't drive off-road lots or over seriously pot hole ridden city streets, you should be OK.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
mudduck

Reged: 03/23/02
Re: Shoehorn mini into suburban [Re: Board Mom]
      #1256 - 03/25/02 08:31 AM

Lisa, the only trouble I have with a PDA is the following: (1) ridiculous small display - my eyes are not as good for reading as they use to be (like cell phones they appear to be designed for teenagers), (2) pencil is hard to use in car, (3) need the serial interface for the OBDII, (4) I don’t understand Windows CE as opposed to DOS. (5) There is software to hook up PDA as scanner for OBDII but it costs $1500 (as opposed to $200). I want the computer insert to look good not ad hoc.

Think of it this way, I can retool my ancient brain and program using old DOS language to achieve a few functions such as loading mp3 files. I have no clue when it comes to CE.

At any rate how much do you know about OBDII protocol? I am really amazed that a simple on board computer system that accesses the huge amount of info on a modern car isn’t more readily available. Speed, gas, eta, diagonistics are all avilable…You can even judge how bad the gas is – water and octane standards are pretty bad. Combine with a simple phone book and modem software for the stupid StarTac

Tom

mudduck

Reged: 03/23/02
Re: Shoehorn mini into suburban [Re: mudduck]
      #1257 - 03/25/02 08:52 AM

Lisa after looking at the auterra site, you may be right. At least its $250 enstead of $1500. Maybe i can also use it for hooking up to the mp3 player and my starTac. Ok if I want to use the info on a regular scan - say I want to poll for vehicle speed every 2 second and then accmulate distance time etc. How would i do this???

Tong ZhangModerator
Senior Editor

Reged: 06/26/02
Loc: Texas
Re: Shoehorn mini into suburban [Re: mudduck]
      #1258 - 08/08/02 10:10 AM

quote:
Originally posted by mudduck:
Ok if I want to use the info on a regular scan - say I want to poll for vehicle speed every 2 second and then accmulate distance time etc. How would i do this???

Get a GPS. It will tell you constantly what your speed is.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Board Mom, LisaG, Jacob_Spindel, Tong Zhang 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4907

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage