Notebooks >> Notebooks - Laptops

Pages: 1
LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
Re: sony u70 gaming perfomance [Re: ]
      #13145 - 07/11/04 10:33 PM

Given the specs, and having used both, I'd say they're comparable, with the TC1100 having the edge thanks to the speedy dedicated NVidia graphics processor.

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

#13577 - 07/22/04 06:46 PM

The U70 comes closest to the TR2a/3A specs since it has the same 1GHz Centino processor and 512 megs of RAM. The motherboards are of course different- the TR series is small but can still use a standard motherboard and can address more RAM. The U maxes out at 512 megs RAM while the TR can go up to 1 gig of RAM. Motherboard architecture does affect performance and the TR does feel faster.

Also the U70 has a much lower resolution display since it's such a small device while the TR has a pretty high res display that works better for gaming. It's just not as much fun playing games at 800 x 600 resolution . That is, unless you want to connect it to an external display for gaming. Also the TR has an internal CD drive so you don't have to play with an external CD drive tethered along.

Not to say that the U is a slug in terms of performance, but gaming isn't what it really was designed for.

Quote:

I was browsing through he link you gave us, and I was wondering if the Sony TR's specs are similar to the Sony U50/70's, since so many games seem to run on the TR series .

--------------------
Lisa Gade

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

#13615 - 07/23/04 05:28 PM

I didn't notice those three games mentioned in this forum, re: Sony. All three are very demanding and would probably run a bit slowly. As long as those three games support graphics cards that used shared memory (the Intel graphics chip uses system RAM rather than dedicated video RAM on the graphics card) then the games should install and run. Some cutting edge games do complain about and sometimes refuse to install on machines that used shared graphics memory.

My experience with the Sony TR2A is that first person shooters run a bit slowly but are playable, and RTS games do better. I didn't test many games on the U series, but I would bet they perform somewhat slower than the TR series in gaming performance.

--------------------
Lisa Gade

jkendrick

Reged: 02/16/04
Loc: Houston, TX USA
      #13753 - 07/27/04 01:55 AM

I have published a review of the U70 on my website. It addresses a few games I have tried so far. The games you mentioned will probably work with some of the video settings toned down. I found that Allied Assault runs nicely. The review is here:

http://jkontherun.blogs.com/jkontherun/2004/07/sony_u70_review.html

--------------------
James Kendrick
www.pocketpctools.com www.jkontherun.com

...using mobile devices since they weighed 30 lbs.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  LisaG, Jacob_Spindel 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 16778

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage