MobileTechReview.com logo
MobileTechReview News, Reviews and Forums
Phone Notebooks & Tablets Gaming Gadgets iPhone & iPad Video Reviews

General Discussions >> What Should I Buy?

Pages: 1
UndeniablyGod

Reged: 07/17/04
Looking for opinions on PDA or PPC with integrated 802.11b wireless & camera
      #13350 - 07/17/04 02:58 PM

Hey guys. I am looking for a Palm or Pocket PC.

The requirements are:

1.) Built in camera (A crummy one will do)
2.) Wireless 802.11b (not really interested in bluetooth)

My desires but not required are:
1.) Bright, transflective screen
2.) High resolution (320x320 or better)
3.) Good battery life
4.) Small size

I'd like to spend around $250 to $300. But I'll gladly take any suggestions and shop around to see if I can find a deal on something more expesive.

I was looking at the Tungsten C which is very nice (Found a refurb for $220), but lacks a camera. Is it possible to get an expansion camera for these and if so, are they expensive?

Also, the Tungsten T3 is nice, but no 802.11b. Is there a way to add this?

Someone had recommended the Sony Clie to me. But I've read things about poor battery life, expensive cost and a poor screen. Is this true? But it does seem most of the reviews are good.

There are many, many Pocket PCs out there, so I don't even know where to start on those. But does anyone have any suggested units out there that meet my requirements (Preferably under $350)? I am a PC technician, so I'm betting I'd feel more at home with a Pocket PC than a Palm-based PDA.

Edited by UndeniablyGod (07/17/04 03:43 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Tong ZhangModerator
Senior Editor

Reged: 06/26/02
Loc: Texas
Re: Looking for opinions on PDA or PPC with integrated 802.11b wireless & camera [Re: UndeniablyGod]
      #13367 - 07/17/04 05:36 PM

For Pocket PCs, look at the list on the left side on this page:
http://www.pdabuyersguide.com/ppc.htm

These are all the PPCs on the US market. Other than the PPC Phone Edition devices, the only one has a built-in camera is the ViewSonic. But rumor has it that a wave of PPCs with built-in cameras are coming. Depends on if you want to wait.

For Palm devices, http://www.pdabuyersguide.com/pilot.htm and check out the Zire 72. Clie devices are pioneers in building great cameras http://www.pdabuyersguide.com/feature/clie.htm and if you search around and can find a good deal on the TH55, you are pretty close to your requirements. T3 is a great device, but the battery life isn't impressive. The only down side of the TH55 is that Sony decided to leave US market however you can still buy the unit pretty much anywhere still.

UndeniablyGod

Re: Looking for opinions on PDA or PPC with integrated 802.11b wireless & camera [Re: Tong Zhang]
      #13371 - 07/17/04 06:28 PM

Thank you!

The TH55 Sony Clie look great. The user reviews are good.

However, I did read the battery is not user replaceable. That scares me quite a bit since I know Li-based batteries (especially) go bad after the first year on a regular basis. Is there any way to replace these if they go bad?

Tong ZhangModerator
Senior Editor

Re: Looking for opinions on PDA or PPC with integrated 802.11b wireless & camera [Re: UndeniablyGod]
      #13397 - 07/18/04 03:13 PM

You are right, the battery on the TH55 isn't user replaceable. However, all the PDAs I've had have lasted more than 2 years in battery life. But I certainly understand your concern about this, so check out this thread on places where sell internal batteries and will give you instructions on how to replace them.

UndeniablyGod

Re: Looking for opinions on PDA or PPC with integrated 802.11b wireless & camera [Re: Tong Zhang]
      #13423 - 07/18/04 10:40 PM

Well, I didn't realize Sony considers internal batteries non-user replaceable. I've changed a number of PDA batteries myself at work.

So that's definitely good news. And that's one of my last apprehensions towards the Clie from what I've read.

I was also wondering about the processor on it. It's only 200MHz. How does Sony's CPU fare against say... Intel's 400Mhz X-scale? I'm doing some resarch to find some information on how they compare, but if anyone already knows...

Tong ZhangModerator
Senior Editor

#13431 - 07/19/04 12:21 AM

The 200MHz and 400MHz will feel the same performing most all tasks under Palm OS, except maybe running game emulators.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 5 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Board Mom, LisaG, Jacob_Spindel, Greg, Tong Zhang 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3044

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage