MobileTechReview News, Reviews and Forums
Phone Notebooks & Tablets Gaming Gadgets iPhone & iPad Video Reviews

Wireless and Mobile Phones >> 802.11b / WiFi cards and networking

Pages: 1
NewiPAQUser

Reged: 07/17/04
Re: Using the Sandisk WiFi Card on the Zire 71..... [Re: ]
      #15739 - 09/23/04 08:51 AM

Don?t know it this can help you but it will at least lead you to solution. Here is how I set up my SanDisk CF128+WiFi card. (http://www.wifizard.com/tutorialsXP/cf-128-wifi/index.htm)

Cheers,
Ivan

--------------------
Thanks for visiting.
http://www.wifizard.com

Edited by NewiPAQUser (09/23/04 08:52 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
neo979
PDA Addict

Reged: 02/10/05
Re: Using the Sandisk WiFi Card on the Zire 71..... [Re: NewiPAQUser]
      #19128 - 02/10/05 11:40 PM

That guide is for PocketPCs, but I went through it anyway, and it does not contain any solution to the problem, which I am having also. Setting a static IP does work, but this really only applies to your home router... the problem still exists for connecting anywhere else. I contacted SanDisk and they tried changing the driver and then offered to exchange it, but it is clear to me that all of the cards have this problem. It is very frustrating.

tdave365

Reged: 03/06/05
Re: Using the Sandisk WiFi Card on the Zire 71..... [Re: ]
      #19458 - 03/06/05 07:53 PM

Just got the Sandisk WiFi card for the zire 71 and find the situation just as you describe. I was hoping that it was just my home wireless network but it turns out that it couldn't obtain a DHCP address from my favorite cafe, either.

The only fix I've discovered (after much ado) in both the home and cafe scenario was to claim in each network profile that I was dealing with a static IP and punch in fake numbers for the IP and the gateway addresses. The fake numbers probably have to be of the 192.168 flavor of course, but the moment I do this for either environment the Zire connected successfully. For my cafe I guessed on a 192.168 IP and used the same number for both the static IP and the gateway. I think this is normally an administrator's nightmare, but it does seem to reliably get around whatever issue inhibits straight up DHCP connect.

Aside from this thread there appears to be no-one else discussing this issue. The Zire 71 is a discontinued handheld at this point and I picked up the last of two of these Zire 71 compatible SanDisks at Comp USA this afternoon. I doubt they'll ever have anything to say about this very real problem.

Dave
http://www.davidpinero.com

neo979
PDA Addict

Reged: 02/10/05
Re: Using the Sandisk WiFi Card on the Zire 71..... [Re: tdave365]
      #19693 - 04/09/05 11:59 PM

Yeah seriously, SanDisk says the card is compatible with the Zire 71, but it really isn't. I ended up getting an iPaq, and the exact same card works great in it. Web browsing was lousy on the 71 anyway, even when the card did work. I tried all kinds of bizarre troubleshooting steps to make the card work with the 71, but the fact is that the driver is bad, and there is pretty much nothing you can do about it. Even when I tried inputting static IP addresses, the connection would seem to die after about 5 minutes. And some ISPs either do not have a static IP for their DNS, or are unwilling to tell you what it is.

There are vague rumors on some sites about an older version of the Palm driver that worked better with the Zire 71, but those sites just go to the v3 link, which is the same version on the CD that came with my card, which is the one that does not work. If anyone actually has an older driver and can successfully connect to DHCP servers with a Zire 71, I would love to hear about it! If you believe the rumors, the v3 was created to add partial, undocumented support for the T|E and possibly some of the T|T series.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  LisaG, Jacob_Spindel 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 9294

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage