MobileTechReview.com logo
MobileTechReview News, Reviews and Forums
Phone Notebooks & Tablets Gaming Gadgets iPhone & iPad Video Reviews

General Discussions >> Ask Us!

Pages: 1
bookrats

Reged: 10/10/04
Thank You Tanker Bob, for "taking point" on Palms!
      #16276 - 10/11/04 12:15 AM

About 3 years ago, when I first got my Clie T615C and was looking for good technical advice, I started reading these articles by Tanker Bob over at ClieSource.

Full of excellent and *reliable* advice, they were incredibly helpful. And a year later, when the T615C went t*ts-up and I picked up a T665C (under the Best Buy protection plan), and was trying to figure out how to make the move, there was Tanker Bob's step-by-step instructions on how he moved from his T615 to a T665. A *lifesaver*.

Well, it's been two years, and I've been planning on buying a new PDA -- but I wanted to wait and see what the PalmOne T5 was like. (Hoping for Cobalt.) Suffice it to say: disappointing; and IMO, an actual decline from the T3.

So... I ordered a T3 last week; should be here in a day or two. And wandering over to his website, I find that T.B. has once again plowed ahead of me, and made the move from his T665C to a T3.

Knowing that he's made the same choice I have is comforting. Finding that he's already been evaluating which software to move (from Palm OS 4.x to 5.x) is a bloody relief -- like jumping off a cliff, only to find 3 sets of safety nets underneath.

Bob -- major league Thank You to you! I've been wandering through your web site, and feel pretty good about making the jump later this week.

BTW, a couple of questions while I'm thinking of it:
  • Still think AeroPlayer is superior to Pocket Tunes?
  • Any idea if Gridlock+ will run on OS5? (I haven't visited their web page yet -- I will).
  • And finally -- did you ever write an article or make a posting about the process of moving from the T665C to the T3? I feel pretty comfortable about doing it (BackupBuddy is a blessing), but I thought I'd check first. Sort of like moving from my Visor to the T615C...

Anyway -- just wanted to say -- MUCH APPRECIATED, BOB!

Bookrats

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Tanker_Bob
PDA Addict

Reged: 11/23/03
Loc: N. Virginia
Re: Thank You Tanker Bob, for "taking point" on Palms! [Re: bookrats]
      #16283 - 10/11/04 01:32 PM

bookrats,

Wow, thank you for your kind comments! Makes all the effort worthwhile.

Your questions:
1) No, it's not as clear with their new versions. Normsoft has made huge strides in usability and sound quality, definitely leap frogging Aerodrome. AeroPlayer's audio quality is still great, but it actually lost program features in the new version. It can't even read its playlists from the previous version. I don't want to give anything away, but if you watch these spaces over the month or so, you might receive enlightenment.

2) According to their ad on PalmGear, Gridlock works under OS 5. You probably want to make sure that there aren't separate Palm and Sony versions, though.

3) I haven't done a detailed T3 transition other than noting which software doesn't make the trip. The procedure is pretty much the same as I already noted on earlier transitions. Cull all system drivers and apps like before. If something sneaks through, the warm reset is your friend!

Thank you again for your gracious words. Enjoy the T3--still the top dog in the Palm world.

--------------------
Regards,
Tanker Bob
Tanker Bob's Handheld Computing Page
Reviewer at MobileTechReview

Tong ZhangModerator
Senior Editor

Reged: 06/26/02
Loc: Texas
Re: Thank You Tanker Bob, for "taking point" on Palms! [Re: bookrats]
      #16285 - 10/11/04 01:53 PM

Tanker Bob is also writing some EXCELLENT reviews of popular Palm OS software. I find these reviews very thorough and extremely insightful!

http://www.pdabuyersguide.com/software.htm

Tanker_Bob
PDA Addict

Reged: 11/23/03
Loc: N. Virginia
Re: Thank You Tanker Bob, for "taking point" on Palms! [Re: Tong Zhang]
      #16287 - 10/11/04 02:10 PM

--------------------
Regards,
Tanker Bob
Tanker Bob's Handheld Computing Page
Reviewer at MobileTechReview

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Greg, LisaG, Jacob_Spindel, Tong Zhang 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2338

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage