Phone Notebooks & Tablets Gaming Gadgets iPhone & iPad Video Reviews

General Discussions >> Ask Us!

Pages: 1
jeffcoat

Reged: 10/11/04
Loc: San Antonio, TX
Tungsten E
      #16294 - 10/11/04 04:20 PM

I am looking at possibly getting a Tungsten E as a replacement for my aging m130. My biggest concern is the lack of a universal connector.

Is there any such thing as an adapter which will allow you to connect via the USB adaptor to devices (such as keyboards) which require a universal connector?

I haven't been too thrilled with the selection of wireless/infrared keyboards currently available.....

Jim

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Tanker_Bob
PDA Addict

Reged: 11/23/03
Loc: N. Virginia
Re: Tungsten E [Re: jeffcoat]
      #16318 - 10/12/04 08:39 AM

I've not heard of such an adapter. I cruised the usual suspect sites for adapters, but didn't see any mini-USB to Palm standard adapters. I think that most folks use IR keyboards w/the TE.

I have a good friend with a TE and he really likes his.

--------------------
Regards,
Tanker Bob
Tanker Bob's Handheld Computing Page
Reviewer at MobileTechReview

jeffcoat

Re: Tungsten E [Re: Tanker_Bob]
      #16320 - 10/12/04 11:03 AM

Quote:

I think that most folks use IR keyboards w/the TE.

Do you have any experience with the IR keyboards?

Most (if not all) of the ones I've seen are 3 rows only.... which I wouldn't like (I use the toprow numbers/symbols quite a bit when touch typing), so I really would need a 4 row keyboard.

I've heard that IR keyboards drain your PDA's battery quicker -- is that true? Is it possible to keep your PDA plugged in/charging when using an IR keyboard?

Tanker_Bob
PDA Addict

Reged: 11/23/03
Loc: N. Virginia
      #16335 - 10/12/04 04:34 PM

[quoteDo you have any experience with the IR keyboards?

Most (if not all) of the ones I've seen are 3 rows only.... which I wouldn't like (I use the toprow numbers/symbols quite a bit when touch typing), so I really would need a 4 row keyboard.

I've heard that IR keyboards drain your PDA's battery quicker -- is that true? Is it possible to keep your PDA plugged in/charging when using an IR keyboard?

There are others here far more qualified to comment on the keyboard layouts. I can't use rectangular keyboards anymore, so I have no direct experience with the mobile ones. Have you checked out the keyboard reviews here on PDABuyersGuide at http://www.pdabuyersguide.com/tips/keyboards.htm ? There's a lot of good info here.

An IR keyboard will drain the battery marginally faster than nominal use because you will be operating the IR port constantly during their use, but I don't know if the difference is significant. A version of that debate's been around for years. Since plugin keyboards get their power from the PDA, I suspect that they'd drain your battery faster with them than just receiving IR. Because they don't hook into your PDA's connector, IR keyboards don't interfere with your ability to charge your PDA while them.

--------------------
Regards,
Tanker Bob
Tanker Bob's Handheld Computing Page
Reviewer at MobileTechReview

jeffcoat

Re: Tungsten E [Re: Tanker_Bob]
      #16338 - 10/12/04 05:16 PM

Quote:

Have you checked out the keyboard reviews here on PDABuyersGuide at http://www.pdabuyersguide.com/tips/keyboards.htm ? There's a lot of good info here.

Yes. The only IR keyboard I saw reviewed there only had 3 rows (i.e., no dedicated number row imediately above the QWERTY keys.

Tong ZhangModerator
Senior Editor

Reged: 06/26/02
Loc: Texas
      #16370 - 10/13/04 02:01 PM

palmOne has released a new keyboard that brought back the number row. We are working on getting one for a review. In the mean time, you can check it out on palmOne site:

http://www.palmone.com/us/products/accessories/accessories_hh.epl

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 7 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Greg, LisaG, Jacob_Spindel, Tong Zhang 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4502

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage