MobileTechReview News, Reviews and Forums
Phone Notebooks & Tablets Gaming Gadgets iPhone & iPad Video Reviews

Windows Mobile, Pocket PCs >> Pocket PC General Discussion

Pages: 1
mfromo

Reged: 08/02/04
Storage/Memory Management
      #16633 - 10/21/04 07:54 AM

I'm looking for some PPC gurus to give some suggestions/guidance on how to manage my Axim's memory. I've got the X30 312mhz w/64 megs + a 512 SD Card. Being a convert from palm I have no clue about where to install stuff and where to save stuff. I've got internal storage, regular storage and my SD card now and have no clues how to maximize the performance and space on my Axim.
Please help me!
Thanks

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Kikuchiyo

Reged: 04/15/04
Re: Storage/Memory Management [Re: mfromo]
      #17015 - 11/02/04 08:20 PM

I too am a Palm-to-PPC convert. Here's my experience over the last several months. Think of Memory as (this is an analogy!!) the RAM, Built in Storage as the Hard Drive, and your sD card as a CD. I install most programs into Built In Storage (BIS). BIS can be slower when it comes to rapid rewrites, but is fine for reading programs. A few programs won't run from BIS, so they end up in Memory, along with a lot of garbage that WM2K3 collects. I have a few programs and nearly all my data files (pdf's, txt's, xls', etc) on the card.

A couple memory mgmt points:
Remember to delete your Pocket Internet Explorer (PIE) files regulary. They reside in Memory and will clog it up very quickly after a leisurely surfing session w/ graphics turned on.
Remember that the Cirle-X in the top right corner doesn't actually close programs, it minimizes them. They're still running and using extra Memory. Get a piece of software to make the X close programs, or use the built in utility Switcher Bar.
When installing programs, ActiveSync will ask if you want to install to the default location. Answer No, and change it to BIS or the Card. It'll look wierd cause it'll say it doesn't know how much space is available. Just be sure you've got enough (most programs don't run more than a MB or 2).

Good luck, and welcome to the Dark Side.

Marcel

Reged: 12/24/04
Re: Storage/Memory Management [Re: Kikuchiyo]
      #18549 - 12/31/04 07:13 PM

I am new to ppc too. I recently bought a hp 4700. When installing program, there are three options to store the pro. say, main memory, ipaq file store and sd card. Could you map this to ram, hard drive and cd?
Also, if i config pocket outlook to store attatchment to memory card, should it store to ipaq files store or sd card?

Happy new year and every best wishes!

Kikuchiyo

Reged: 04/15/04
Re: Storage/Memory Management [Re: Marcel]
      #18598 - 01/03/05 12:30 PM

Yes, again, Main Memory is !!analagous!! to your RAM, ipaq file store is the same as Dell's BIS, and analagous to a hard drive, and your sd card is analagous to a cd.

I save my Outlook attachments to my sd card. Remember, the advantage of BIS/file store is that it's non-volatile, meaning that it won't lose the data with loss of power (dead battery). The disadvantage is that it's slower, and limited in space. An sd card is also non-volatile, and you can always buy a bigger one or more of them if you run out. Putting them into BIS (ipaq store) is probably unnessary.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 8 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Greg, Jacob_Spindel, LisaG, Tong Zhang 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is disabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4748

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage