Phone Notebooks & Tablets Gaming Gadgets iPhone & iPad Video Reviews

Palm OS PDAs >> Palm Inc.

Pages: 1
Mike1

Reged: 11/28/04
Wi-fi at home?
      #17710 - 11/28/04 03:58 AM

Hi,
I was reading customer reviews at Amazon of the Tungsten C, and several people mentioned connecting with their wi-fi at home. I thought you had to go to a wi-fi hotspot. How do you get a wi-fi connection in your home?

Thanks, Mike

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
Re: Wi-fi at home? [Re: Mike1]
      #17800 - 12/01/04 06:46 PM

Simply but a WiFi access point from a consumer electronics store and attach it to your cable modem or DSL router using an Ethernet cable. The instructions on how to set it up come with the unit, and the 802.11b models can be had for around $50 these days.

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

Mike1

Reged: 11/28/04
Re: Wi-fi at home? [Re: LisaG]
      #18201 - 12/17/04 12:33 AM

Thanks,
So if I'm using an iMac G5, I don't have to use the airport stuff, but can use this mobile access point instead? thanks, Mike

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Re: Wi-fi at home? [Re: Mike1]
      #18203 - 12/17/04 01:08 AM

The Apple AirPort is simply one brand of WiFi access point. You can get an AirPort or another brand if you like.

--------------------
Lisa Gade

Reged: 01/14/05
      #18783 - 01/14/05 08:22 PM

Have you seen the new wifi for the TREO 600/650 it's called a sled...... I saw it here
http://mytreo.net/forum/index.php?topic=6062.0

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Re: Wi-fi at home? [Re: 1969]
      #18784 - 01/14/05 09:03 PM

Yes, we saw it at CES where Enfora was showing it at the palmOne booth. It looks very slick. It does add a lot of bulk to the Treo, but you get a battery inside the sled and that does require some space. It looks like it will be a great solution if you don't mind doubling the thickness of your Treo 650.

--------------------
Lisa Gade

robklebes

Reged: 02/02/05
Loc: Springfield, MA
      #19034 - 02/02/05 06:48 PM

Do you happen to know the average for a wireless router with at least 2 physical ethernet (RJ47 I think is the exact code, but it's been a while since my CCNA classes in high school) ports? I'm looking for something to connect my cable modem to my computer, handheld (Zire 72 and I'm eventually buying the SDIO Wireless Card for it with this in mind) and my PlayStation 2 (the reason for a physical port, I don't trust it with wireless, I don't think it'll like it) for as cheap as possible and still have good quality. Thanks.

neo979
PDA Addict

Reged: 02/11/05
Re: Wi-fi at home? [Re: robklebes]
      #19135 - 02/11/05 10:35 PM

Quote:

Do you happen to know the average for a wireless router with at least 2 physical ethernet (RJ47 I think is the exact code, but it's been a while since my CCNA classes in high school) ports? I'm looking for something to connect my cable modem to my computer, handheld (Zire 72 and I'm eventually buying the SDIO Wireless Card for it with this in mind) and my PlayStation 2 (the reason for a physical port, I don't trust it with wireless, I don't think it'll like it) for as cheap as possible and still have good quality. Thanks.

Average what? Speed? Size? Price? And do you want 802.11b or 802.11g? I found a 4-port wireless 802.11g router at Staples for $20 after rebate, but you could easily pay ten times that if you wanted to.

Also, I'm pretty sure it's RJ45 for an Ethernet cable, not RJ47. (Also, RJ11 is a telephone wire.)

Tanker_Bob
PDA Addict

Reged: 11/24/03
Loc: N. Virginia
Re: Wi-fi at home? [Re: robklebes]
      #19232 - 02/18/05 01:05 PM

Quote:

Try Amazon.com. I just bought a Linksys 802.11g router with 4 RJ45 ports for $59.99 plus a $20 rebate, making it $39.99. Hard to beat that on quality and price.

--------------------
Regards,
Tanker Bob
Tanker Bob's Handheld Computing Page
Reviewer at MobileTechReview

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  LisaG, Jacob_Spindel, Tong Zhang 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 8256

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage