Wireless and Mobile Phones >> 802.11b / WiFi cards and networking

Pages: 1
LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
Re: Dell AXIM 5 and Linksys WCF12 - basic setup question [Re: ]
      #18354 - 12/21/04 03:00 PM

The card should have come with instructions as to how to set it up. If you're connecting to an access point (which is almost always the case) select infrastructure and not ad-hoc. The SSID will vary for each access point but the card should have software that lists access points in range so you can pick one. Most public access points don't use WEP encryption. They do however charge you for using their service.

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
spinsker

Reged: 12/20/04
Re: Dell AXIM 5 and Linksys WCF12 - basic setup question [Re: LisaG]
      #18401 - 12/23/04 01:21 PM

Thanks for your reply. I'm still confused. I'm not connecting to an access point...i.e. don't want to use at home. Am only looking to use at Starbucks and airports and maybe an odd hotel or so. Do I use ad-hoc? The instructions tell you to enter something under SSID and IP address, subnet mask and default gateway fields. I am new to this so I don't know what to enter in those blanks? Guess I need more basic help for 'dummies.' :-)

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
Re: Dell AXIM 5 and Linksys WCF12 - basic setup question [Re: spinsker]
      #18405 - 12/23/04 02:16 PM

Use infrastructure, never ad-hoc when connecting to a public area access point. You can try using and SSID of "any" (omit the quotes) to get the device to see available access points in range. The IP address is assigned via DHCP by the access point, so you don't need to enter it.

Often at public places like Starbucks and McDonalds, they have sheets with instructions on how to connect. You might also want to check the Starbucks web site to see if they have instructions. Most work the same, so if you get one working, you'll be able to generalize that knowledge so you can connect to others.

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  LisaG, Jacob_Spindel 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 5927

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage