Phone Notebooks & Tablets Gaming Gadgets iPhone & iPad Video Reviews

Windows Mobile, Pocket PCs >> HP iPAQ Pocket PC

Pages: 1
mmcclain

Reged: 06/27/05
3715 Help!?
      #20389 - 06/27/05 11:32 AM

Hi,

I admit to being very new to the world of handhelds. I purchased an Ipaq 3715 approximately 2 months ago. I bought the Dummies book and have been trying to figure things out. I've been able to set up my email to receive, but not send. I haven't installed any new programs. I have used it mainly to browse the internet (I have a wireless network at home that it automatically located, yay!), to create shopping lists, and to work with small Word files. The use of handhelds will be part of the curriculum that I will be teaching in Keyboarding class at the high school level. I will be attending a workshop next month, but have been trying to figure things out on my own before then.

I have three main problems.

1. My laptop (Dell Inspiron 5150) no longer recognizes my pda when I place it in the cradle. When I run ActiveSync, it reads it as a guest. This is what I've done to correct. I have done a soft reboot on the pda; I have done a reboot on the laptop; I have deleted the partnership in ActiveSync and set it up again. When I delete the partnership, it will synch, but as soon as I remove the pda from the cradle and try again, it becomes a guest.

2. I am running out of memory. I can't save anything because of low memory. It's not even letting me websurf anymore. I have virtually nothing saved, so I'm confused by this. I don't have any files in the File Explorer. I have not installed any programs. I do have information in the contacts, notes, and calendar sections. I have a 500 mb SD card installed. How do I utilize this better?

3. As I mentioned above, I have a 500 mb sd card installed. I moved the pictures I had in the my pictures folder to a my pictures folder on the card. The dockware cannot find them here. I love the dockware feature of displaying the calendar and rotating the photos. If I leave a copy in the original my pictures folder, it works. Is there any way of having the dockware look in the sd card.

Thanks in advance for any help. I feel like I'm beating my head against the wall trying to figure this thing out.

Margarita

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
Re: 3715 Help!? [Re: mmcclain]
      #20394 - 06/27/05 02:10 PM

Check the SMTP outgoing mail server setting and make sure it matches what you use on your notebook- that's probably the outgoing mail problem.

You might be running into memory problems because too many programs are running. Unfortunately Microsoft doesn't like the idea of exiting programs but rather minimizes them. Though the PDA should automatically start killing apps if memory gets too low, it doesn't always work too well. Try downloading and installing a free app called Magic Button. With this app, when you tap on the close box it will exit the program rather than minimizing it.

For that dreaded Guest issue... have you installed any new AntiVirus or firewall software? Sometimes those get in the way. If you use Firewall software, make sure port 900 is open for ActiveSync or the PDA might be seen only as Guest.

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

mmcclain

Reged: 06/27/05
Re: 3715 Help!? [Re: LisaG]
      #20399 - 06/27/05 05:18 PM

I had to set up my Outlook to work with my AOL account. It works just fine on my laptop and to receive mail on my iPAQ. Both the iPAQ and the laptop are set with imap.aol.com for incoming and smtp.aol.com for outgoing. When I try to send email, I get this message "The message(s) could not be sent. Check that you have network coverage and that your account information is correct. Then try sending again." I've checked my connections and they are correct. Incoming works fine, outgoing not at all. Very puzzling.

I've noticed that it doesn't close programs, so I've been going in to the memory section and closing the programs myself. It isn't helping. I still can't save anything. I used to have three pictures saved that could rotate on dockware and now I can't even save one. When I look at the main memory, I'm showing 5.26 mb free, 23.29 mb in use and 28.55 mb allocated for storage. For program I'm showing 28.11 mb allocated, 11.51 mb in use, and 16.60 mb free. I don't understand how the iPAQ File Store works and I have a 500 mb SD card installed. For some reason, it is showing up as only 483.56 mb with 2.00 mb in use.

As for the Guest issue, I have not installed any new software to my laptop. No new virus protection and I don't have a firewall (though I've been meaning to look into installing one).

Thanks again!
Margarita

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  LisaG, Jacob_Spindel, Tong Zhang 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4244

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage