Phone Notebooks & Tablets Gaming Gadgets iPhone & iPad Video Reviews

Palm OS PDAs >> Palm Inc.

Pages: 1
mscm

Reged: 09/16/05
basic pda questions
      #21159 - 09/16/05 02:32 PM

Hi,

I know very little about pdas but am looking for basic functions. What is meant by
syncing your PDA? Also what is meant by non user replaceable battery? Does this mean
the unit is no good once the battery wears out?

Thanks,

mscm

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
neo979
PDA Addict

Reged: 02/11/05
Re: basic pda questions [Re: mscm]
      #21163 - 09/17/05 02:56 AM

Generally, a user will enter new information sometimes on the computer, and sometimes on the PDA. Syncing refers to connecting the PDA to the computer and ensuring that the newest information from both sources is now on both devices.
Syncing may also involve installing new software on the PDA or backing up software from the PDA to the computer.

Palm OS devices use a program/technology called HotSyncing, whereas PocketPCs use ActiveSync.

Most Palm OS devices come with a rechargeable battery that is not user-replaceable. You can charge it hundreds of times, maybe more, and use the device for years, assuming you aren't intentionally abusing it. However, once the battery no longer holds a charge, you must send the PDA back to the factory to get it fixed, although by then you'll probably want a new PDA anyway. Most PocketPCs have user-replaceable batteries, which is primarily seen as an advantage, except that it does increase the price of the PDA somewhat, and by the time your battery stops holding a charge, it might become difficult to find that model battery.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  LisaG, Jacob_Spindel, Tong Zhang 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3469

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage