MobileTechReview News, Reviews and Forums
Phone Notebooks & Tablets Gaming Gadgets iPhone & iPad Video Reviews

Wireless and Mobile Phones >> Symbian and Maemo Smartphones

Pages: 1
GadgetGuy

Reged: 10/20/05
my Nokia 9300 w/Blackberry Connect Comments
      #21469 - 10/20/05 10:35 PM

recently had the opportunity to use a Nokia 9300 (http://www.nokiausa.com/phones/9300) for a few days. My big reason for using it was that I was able to get the Blackberry connect software installed. I thought this would be a great way to test the blackberry software on a device other than a blackberry! My biggest complaint with RIM these days is that they a have failed to provide their functionality on other hardware platforms outside their own, at least in the US.

Overall I'm not that impressed and it's my opinion others that have been blackberry users will be significantly disappointed with the experience of the application.

The biggest problem with the Blackberry functionality is that it is based on the features of the 2.0 version of a blackberry. RIM is currently at 4.x, so there are major gaps in functionality. This is significantly absent in any of the marketing material that is available. My opinion is that the market is not going to be fond of this.

As for the device you can see some of the comments below. As a phone it works, but it's not great there are better phones. This phone is in the candy bar family, more like a "supersized" candy bar! It's rather uncomfortable against the face, based on the way the contour of the device is. The keyboard for the PDA is not backlit very hard to see at night. The performance is not that great and the user interface is clumsey.

Our challenge will be effectively communicating with our users about the shortcomings of the Blackberry connect client. Carriers are going to push this very hard, as it mean incremental revenue for them to sell the blackberry service on a phone. Hopefully they will make improvements to the licensing model so that the features can be available. I would not recommend this application for our users at this time.

I believe i'll be back on my Good enabled device by morning!

Here is my bulleted list of things that I thought about the phone:

Device comments
? sluggish performance
? not easy one handed use for pda features
? clumsy interface
? great phone setup service/configuration on Nokia site
? physical phone is not comfortable to hold to ear
? keyboard is not backlit
? volume level on phone not loud enough

Blackberry comments
? contacts do not synchronize
? tasks do not synchronize
? no over-the-air support
? to many multi-key actions
? GAL access is only email address lookup
? not able to download wav files from an email
? creating message to many steps
? no dynamic lookup of names
? no single key nav ie.. r reply f forward
? synchronization is not consistent
? opening of messages is slow

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Tong Zhang, LisaG, Jacob_Spindel 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3446

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage