Phone Notebooks & Tablets Gaming Gadgets iPhone & iPad Video Reviews

Wireless and Mobile Phones >> Treo

Pages: 1
RJCgix

Reged: 02/09/06
Treo 650 cell phone minute usage question
      #22619 - 02/09/06 04:10 PM

Greetings,
I was in a Verizon wireless store today and asked some questions about the Treo 650.
The salesmen said that the way the OS of the Treo is set up, in constantly talks to their network about every 15 minutes and when it does this, is uses up your cell phone minutes. It will do this even if your not using it, in the background so to speak.

which is why he recommended I purchased their Voice and data package which gives unlimited Data allowances.

He said they had a customer who did NOT buy this voice and data package and had a huge phone bill because of it. Does this sound right?

He said the phone that have MS 5.0 do not have this problem. Has anyone heard anything like this?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Jacob_SpindelModerator
Moderator and writer

Reged: 11/21/05
Re: Treo 650 cell phone minute usage question [Re: RJCgix]
      #22623 - 02/09/06 09:09 PM

Well, I'm not sure what specifically he was trying to explain, but he clearly didn't know what he was talking about. It is ridiculous to think that any commercially available cell phone would effectively make purchases without authorization, and I have never heard of any Treo doing anything like that. My guess is that he is "prejudiced" against Palm OS, either because the 700w might be higher margin, or maybe he is just one of those M$ zealots who thinks that anything other than Microsoft must be bad. Maybe try a different store?

Perhaps he was thinking about an e-mail program checking for e-mail automatically, even if you don't have a data plan...? And it's not like you could just not enter any e-mail accounts or something...

EDIT: Since maybe some people here don't appreciate my brand of, um, sarcasm, the above was my cynical way of saying that a Treo can't possible automatically check e-mail if you don't want it to, since you could simply not enter any e-mail information. It might have a Verizon e-mail account pre-programmed, but if so, I would certainly hope you could delete it.

--------------------
Chief iPod Correspondent
Senior Time Waster
Extreme Moderator
Moderate Extremist
Captain of the Planet Express
Assistant Jedi Librarian
--------------------

RJCgix

Reged: 02/09/06
Re: Treo 650 cell phone minute usage question [Re: Jacob_Spindel]
      #22652 - 02/13/06 11:48 AM

Thanks for your answer. It does a bit lame that a company(or so the saleman would make you think) would require that.

I will say this though...Verizon wireless REQUIRES you to buy some sort of Data plan with their "smartphones". The cheapest one being a "pay as you go" where there is no montly fee, just the fact that you pay as you use the data network. Why would they require this? I asked the salesman and he sorta said the same thing...even the phones with Microsoft OS(this was a different salesman, different day) need to access their system for something. Does this seem right?

Jacob_SpindelModerator
Moderator and writer

Reged: 11/21/05
Re: Treo 650 cell phone minute usage question [Re: RJCgix]
      #22672 - 02/13/06 07:52 PM

Although it doesn't make sense the way he explained it, it does make some amount of sense to say that it is pointless to buy a smartphone without a data plan... I think the whole point of a smartphone is the ability to access the Internet (including e-mail) anywhere you can get a cell phone signal.

--------------------
Chief iPod Correspondent
Senior Time Waster
Extreme Moderator
Moderate Extremist
Captain of the Planet Express
Assistant Jedi Librarian
--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Board Mom, Greg, Jacob_Spindel, LisaG, Tong Zhang 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 5560

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage