MobileTechReview News, Reviews and Forums
Phone Notebooks & Tablets Gaming Gadgets iPhone & iPad Video Reviews

Palm OS PDAs >> Palm Inc.

Pages: 1
urdrwho

Reged: 03/29/06
Passed on a Dell bought a TX - hope I made the correct choice
      #23318 - 03/31/06 06:18 AM

Last week I decided I needed a PDA and I started shopping. I know someone that has a Dell X30, loves it so I went checking. Looked like a good PDA BUT all the sellers on Amazon were asking way too much for a PDA that came out in 2004. Some are even asking more than the original price. I actually asked a seller, why? He said, there is no competition, PDA's don't depreciate like other computer stuff.

So I started looking at the Palm TX. Yesterday I found an Amazon offer for a new TX $269.00. If I used my new Amazon credit card I received a $30 discount, plus I had a gift certificate. The TX was shipped super saver (free) and the total cost to me was $189. When I told the one X30 Amazon seller what I was going to do, he e-mailed me another offer, an even older Dell PDA, an i30. The price was $230. I wondered, the seller gave me no reasons to buy the used PDA, what made hime think I would pay more for his used PDA compared to a new PDA?

The only thing I will miss is, no voice recorder on the TX.

I hope buying the TX was the correct purchase. Is the Palm OS as good as Windows Mobile? Several article I read lead me to believe that Windows Mobile took more system resources. I think (no proof) the because of its market share the Palm will have more apps available for it than the Windows Mobile OS - Dell X30?

Did I make the correct decision?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
Re: Passed on a Dell bought a TX - hope I made the correct choice [Re: urdrwho]
      #23391 - 04/04/06 01:08 AM

The Palm T|X is a very nice and new PDA with a great set of features for the price. I own one and love it, and yes, there are quite a huge number of Palm OS apps available. Pocket PCs have a good selection as well though, so I wouldn't say Palm has a huge advantage when it comes to high quality 3rd party apps, only a moderate advantage .

Both operating systems have their strong points. Palm OS is very stable and easy to learn and use. Pocket PC (Windows Mobile) is a bit more powerful and modern, especially when it comes to networking. However, if you like the PDA and does what you need, that's what counts!

There is no such unit as the Dell i30... so I'm not sure what the seller was offering. Perhaps the even older Dell Axim X3i?

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

urdrwho

Re: Passed on a Dell bought a TX - hope I made the correct choice [Re: LisaG]
      #23419 - 04/05/06 08:16 AM

Maybe I should have bought that Dell !!!!

Yesterday my TX arrived and last night I tried to sync the TX and my Contact Manager. My Contact Manager is Timematters 5.0 (TM5) and was purchased about 2 years ago. Before doing a sync,with TM5 I preformed a sync to the Palm desktop. It worked fine.

Then I set up the TM5 sync from within the TM5 application and tried the sync. Oops....maybe I should have gone with buying that older Dell X3i.

I received an error message: "Hotsync Manager, Important palmOne components are missing and prevent this handheld from synchronizing. Please download and install the palmOne desktop for your computer."

I used the Palm desktop that was on the OEM - CD.
When I un-install the TM5 sync, the error message goes away and I can again sync to the Palm desktop.

The number one reason I bought a PDA was to sync with my contact manager program.

I've been told that people have been synching a Tungsten T|3 and below, back to m515 and possibly Vx since TM4.

Maybe if I try the Palm desktop for T|3 it will sync. I'm getting a sinking feeling that I just wasted a whole lot of money.

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
Re: Passed on a Dell bought a TX - hope I made the correct choice [Re: urdrwho]
      #23426 - 04/05/06 12:51 PM

Have you contact the folks who make that Contact Manager or visited thier web site to see if they support more recent PDAs? The models you listed are a couple to several years old. Hopefully if they're still in business, they have an upgrade that works with newer models.

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

urdrwho

Re: Passed on a Dell bought a TX - hope I made the correct choice [Re: LisaG]
      #23428 - 04/05/06 01:33 PM

Yes they are still in business BUT I must upgrade to version 7. That is another $245 and brings the grand total of adding a PDA to almost $600.

I installed the Palm software on my desktop and tried to sync to my Contact Manager (TimeMatters 5.0) and it worked. I limited the sync to contacts only, no Notes, To-dos or others. Yea! So I went went back to add the To-do's and received the error message. Now it won't even sync contacts only without the error message.

I have been on hold with Palm support for 55 minutes. OK, just talked to a real person. Here is what they told me, the problem is that the TX is using a new 4.2 Palm desktop and there is no way that the TX can use an earlier Palm desktop version. I know for a fact that a Palm
T3 runs on Timematters 5.0 and Palm T3 runs Palm Desktop 4.0.4. Again I am PO'd at the software developers!!!!! My TM5.0 is only two years old and Palm has developed a PDA that isn't going to run a lot of the earlier software. 4.0.4 to 4.0 isn't even a major number change. What the heck were they thinking.

Amazon has e-mailed me that they will take back the TX for a full refund. So I guess I will be using a Dell X30 with the 2003 Windows Mobile OS. Well....at least I'll get a recorder.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  LisaG, Jacob_Spindel, Tong Zhang 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 11455

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage