MobileTechReview.com logo
MobileTechReview News, Reviews and Forums
Phone Notebooks & Tablets Gaming Gadgets iPhone & iPad Video Reviews

Windows Mobile, Pocket PCs >> HP iPAQ Pocket PC

Pages: 1
Harris

Reged: 08/05/06
Sick of iMates(HTC) -- Will HP 6915 prove different or is P990 the answer ?
      #24785 - 08/05/06 02:11 PM

I have tried a number of iMates (PDA2, PDA2K, JamIn, etc..) After my horrible experiences, I wouldn't even acept one as a free gift. Most everyone I have spoken to agrees with me, and have had similar experiences. I think they would make great paper weights though. The phone quality stunk on these devices. After upgrading the firmware firmware a few hundred times I gave up on iMate. Wasn't sure if it was MS Windows Mobile issue, or a HTC design issue. I am a heavy application user, and I just felt that after installing a few PPC apps, my device became flaky and kept crashing requiring soft resets. My phone kept hanging. To make a long story short, I gave up on PPC phones, and decided to go for the Sony Ericsson P990. After patiently waiting for a year for this P990 to come out (which to date is on the verge of being publically available for sale), I happened to stumble upon Lisa's great review of hw6915. I followed up with my own research, and based on the review I feel it deserved a shot as it hoped to offer some promise. So why not give PPC phones one last chance ? That's what I did. Based on Lisa's strong review and other reviews of hw6915, I went ahead and placed my order for a hw6915. Having a GPS will be a bonus. As long as it can be a stable device (good phone reception) stable PDA device, and give me good performance for my PPC apps, I will be a happy camper. Time will tell. I was very tempted to go with a Symbian based P990 because of all the great things this 3G phone claims to offer. Generally speaking I think Symbian is a much better OS for PDA phones than MS PPC. Does anyone agree with me ? Would I have been better off with the P990. I haven't read much here on the P990. Hopefully Lisa will write a nice review on the P990. I'm curious to hear your thoughts on whether hw6915 would be a better (more stable, good phone reception) device compared to the P990.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
Re: Sick of iMates(HTC) -- Will HP 6915 prove different or is P990 the answer ? [Re: Harris]
      #24997 - 08/25/06 09:43 PM

We're still waiting for our P990, since it's only been out a week or two . My feeling on it is that it took a very long time to come to market and I'm afraid it will seem a little dated now.

My hw6915, which I used for 4 months as my primary PDA and phone was amazingly stable by WM standards. In fact, compared to any sort of phone it behaved well. I ran quite a few 3rd party apps on it and HP's Navigation software with no odd slowdowns or crashes. Very reliable overall. I would suggest you run apps that are compatible with WM5-- very old apps aren't a good idea with any WM5 PPC.

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  LisaG, Jacob_Spindel, Tong Zhang 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 5094

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage