MobileTechReview News, Reviews and Forums
Phone Notebooks & Tablets Gaming Gadgets iPhone & iPad Video Reviews

Windows Mobile, Pocket PCs >> Pocket PC General Discussion

Pages: 1
Niebais

Reged: 12/27/06
Why do they not have big hard drives?
      #26333 - 12/27/06 04:21 PM

I get so frustrated at the pocket pc's these days. The industry is trying to tout how great even 4gb of storage space is! I want a pocket pc that has a hard disk and memory. The iPod is a great example of how 80gb of space can easily go on a small device. I read all the previous arguments on how ROM is so much better and everything runs so much quicker. I'd much rather have a little bit of load time so I can enjoy my mp3's and everything else all on one machine.

--
http://www.gomoviepod.com

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Jacob_SpindelModerator
Moderator and writer

Reged: 11/21/05
Re: Why do they not have big hard drives? [Re: Niebais]
      #26337 - 12/28/06 01:26 AM

It is ultimately a question of supply and demand. Hard drives tend to drive up the price, size, and power consumption of mobile devices, and I guess the makers of these devices have decided it would not be profitable to make them. I can't say if they are right or not.

--------------------
Chief iPod Correspondent
Senior Time Waster
Extreme Moderator
Moderate Extremist
Captain of the Planet Express
Assistant Jedi Librarian
--------------------

Niebais

Reged: 12/27/06
Re: Why do they not have big hard drives? [Re: Jacob_Spindel]
      #26339 - 12/28/06 10:46 AM

I agree that hard drives and other items add to power consumption, however, the iPod seems to handle the hard drive just fine. You can watch movies on it for 2 hours straight or play music for roughly 15 hours with the one I have. In all reality, the screen is the thing that takes up the most power on any device. The hard drive would just add a fraction of the power usage if they do it properly.
You have a point on whether or not the devices would be profitable or not. Here's my view on that. If I could have a device which could easily access all my music, and I could easily access the programs that I currently have on my iPod as well as play the games I have, then I would definitely buy that device. It would eliminate my need of having to carry an iPod and a pocket pc device around all the time.
I purchased a pocket pc some time ago and I was waiting for some genius to create such a device, but it appears I will have to wait longer. I just see no advantage that the stupid ROM system has over a system with a hard drive and memory any longer.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Greg, Jacob_Spindel, LisaG, Tong Zhang 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is disabled

Rating:
Topic views: 6859

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage