MobileTechReview News, Reviews and Forums
Phone Notebooks & Tablets Gaming Gadgets iPhone & iPad Video Reviews

Wireless and Mobile Phones >> Windows Phone

Pages: 1
Darrell

Reged: 02/20/07
What INFORMATION MobileTechReviews MUST contain
      #26883 - 02/20/07 05:52 PM

This is primerily for the reviewers of PocketPC Phones at MobileTechReview.

INFORMATION THAT POCKETPC REVIEWS MUST CONTAIN TO BE REALLY USEFUL TO READERS:

1. IF THE POCKETPC PHONE CONTAINS A BLUETOOTH CAPABILITY, REVIEWS MUST LIST ALL OF THE PROFILES IN THE BLUETOOTH STACK. ONLY THEN WILL A READER WHO MAY BE A POTENTIAL BUYER WILL KNOW WHAT THEY ARE BUYING FOR SURE. THIS PARTICULARLY CRITICAL TO FOLKS WHO WANT TO BUY A DEVICE THAT HAS THE "SIM ACCESS PROFILE" THAT IS NEEDED TO CONNECT TO THE BLUETOOTH CAPABILITIES OF MANY NEW CARS SUCH AS BMW, MERCEDES BENZ, AND VW.

2. ALL PARTICULARS OF THE OPERATING SYSTEM VERSIONS MUST BE LISTED AS IN: MICROSOFT WINDOWS MOBILE 5.0 VERSION 3.0.1, FOR EXAMPLE. WITH THIS INFORMATION CLEARLY AVAILABLE TO THE READER THERE SHOULD BE NO CONFUSION OR DOUBTS ABOUT THE OS's CAPABILITIES.

I SURE HOPE THE REVIEWERS AT MoblileTechReview WILL HEED MY SUGGESTION... THANKS!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
Re: What INFORMATION MobileTechReviews MUST contain [Re: Darrell]
      #26884 - 02/20/07 07:13 PM

That information is usually listed under the specs section at the end of the review (OS revision is in the Software section and BT profiles are under the Networking section under Specs). Sometimes the manufacturer doesn't offer a list of supported BT profiles, in which case we list the ones we were able to discover and use ourselves. Alas, no one on staff currently drives a BMW, Mercedes or Acura so we aren't able to test with those cars' BT systems.

For those who are wondering... SIM Access Profile is becoming increasingly common in higher end Nokia phones (it's now standard in S60 3rd edition) and some other feature phones. When it comes to Windows Mobile, quite a while back in Windows Mobile 5 AKU 1.1 MS added the phone book transfer ability. In AKU 3 they added SIM Access Profile which means devices running AKU 3 *should* work with cars that use that profile. Now, not all Windows Mobile phones use the MS Bluetooth software, but most do (E-TEN for example does not).

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  LisaG, Jacob_Spindel 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4688

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage