Phone Notebooks & Tablets Gaming Gadgets iPhone & iPad Video Reviews

Wireless and Mobile Phones >> 802.11b / WiFi cards and networking

Pages: 1
Greg
PDA Addict

Reged: 02/28/02
Re: How to switch off a Wi-Fi CF card? [Re: ]
      #2969 - 10/11/02 06:40 PM

I haven't seen a CF network card that allowed you to turn it off via software. The Socket, along with other cards, does have the ability to go to sleep and thus use very little power when you're not actively accessing the network.

--------------------
Mobile Tech Review
http://www.mobiletechreview.com

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
Re: How to switch off a Wi-Fi CF card? [Re: ]
      #2971 - 10/14/02 01:45 PM

I haven't seen a Prism-based CF card with a complete power-off function. The D-Link, for example, is a Prism-based product and you'll only see the usual options for enabling or disabling power saving mode.

The new Linksys WCF12 (it replaces the WCF11 reviewed on our site) does allow you to turn the radio on and off. I'll be adding this card to our WiFi review later this week.

BTW, there are some older Ethernet and modem CF cards out there that drain more power than most current WiFi cards [Eek!] . Card manufacturers are showing improvments in power saving technology and awareness as the industry matures. WiFi cards, being newer products, actually have an advantage!

I'm not sure we'll ever see a Pocket PC that lets you cut all power to populated expansion slots rather than going to sleep mode. Even laptops generally sleep the cards rather than cutting all power.

[ October 14, 2002, 03:21 PM: Message edited by: LisaG ]

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  LisaG, Jacob_Spindel 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4813

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage