General Discussions >> News

Pages: 1
Tong ZhangModerator
Senior Editor

Reged: 06/26/02
Loc: Texas
Nokia Push Email Enters Beta
      #31043 - 08/09/08 10:37 AM

If you were as disappointed as we were when Nokia discontinued the BlackBerry push email service on the Nokia devices, this is the redemption we've been waiting for. Nokia has just open a free beta program for its push email services to the Nokia E-series and N-series users. Anyone who wishes to test the push email services with supported devices can go to email.nokia.com to sign up. And with this move, Nokia has not only filled a gap in the real time email space, but combine this with the Nokia Ovi Services, Nokia is providing its S60 device users the experience that Apples MobileMe promises to deliver yet.

Here are more details of the Nokia email services and how to sign up:

About Nokia Email service

What does Nokia Email service do?
Nokia Email service automatically delivers email from your current email address to your Nokia device. You do not have to change your email address.

Nokia Email service enables you to do the following on your Nokia device:
View, respond, forward, compose and delete emails
Manage your email inbox, outbox, drafts, and sent folders

Cost
How much does it cost to use Nokia Email service?
There is no charge for using Nokia Email service during the beta trial.

However, you may incur third party charges in connection with the transfer and receipt of data to your mobile device, such as the mobile data service cost charged by your wireless operator. Your wireless operator can provide you with cost information about its mobile data service plans.

How much does the Nokia Email service cost when I am roaming?
Because third party data transfer costs may apply, you may choose to suspend email delivery when you leave your network area to prevent unexpected charges.

You can suspend email delivery by using the below steps:
Select the Settings icon from the Nokia Email client on your Nokia device.
Select When to Sync.
Select Sync While Roaming and set to Off.

Consult your wireless operator for more information about data transfer costs.

Getting Started

What do I need to get started?
You must have all of the following:
An existing POP or IMAP email account
A wireless data service plan with your wireless operator
A supported Nokia device
Nokia Email service software installed on your Nokia device

What is POP and IMAP email?
POP and IMAP are the most popular Internet email standards in use today.
POP (Post Office Protocol) stores your email on Internet web servers. POP3 is a version of POP email that Internet service providers (ISPs) typically provide. POP3 email users typically view email from a PC.
IMAP4 (Internet Messaging Access Protocol) retrieves email from an Internet server similar to POP. However, IMAP downloads only the message subject until the user acts to open the email on their PC.
How do I set-up Nokia Email service on my Nokia device?
Select on the Sign Up button on this website.
Identify your supported Nokia device model
Enter your existing POP or IMAP email address and password
Enter your mobile phone number

Why do I have to give you my mobile number?
During setup, Nokia Email service sends an SMS (short message service) to your mobile device with a link to the Nokia Email service client software. This link guides you through the installation of Nokia Email service software on your Nokia device.

Your phone number is required to send this SMS to your device.

Nokia will not use your mobile number except in accordance with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Why do I have to give you my email password?
Nokia Email service automatically fetches your email messages from your POP or IMAP email account as new email arrives.

To access your emails, Nokia Email service needs your user name and password.

Nokia does not use your password except in accordance with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

What if I am already receiving email on my device?
Nokia Email service can run on your Nokia device alongside most other email solutions without any problems.

However, if you are currently using Nokia Intellisync Mobile Suite, this must be uninstalled before using Nokia Email service.

You can uninstall Nokia Intellisync Mobile Suite, using the below steps:
Select the Menu button on your Nokia device to access the Tools folder
Select the App. Mgr. folder within the Tools folder
Highlight any Nokia Intellisync Mobile Suite entry(ies), and select "Remove" from the options soft key
Nokia Email service can now be installed from the SMS
Using Nokia Email service

Can anyone intercept and read my email as it travels over the wireless network?
Your email is encrypted using SSL (Secure Sockets Layer) as it travels over the wireless network to prevent unauthorized access.

Can I receive calls on my mobile device when I am receiving email?
Yes. Incoming phone calls will always take top priority.

How Do I ...

How do I install Nokia Email service on another Nokia device?
To request another SMS message with the link to the Nokia Email software, log in to your account. Then select Reinstall Nokia Email, select a Nokia device, and enter its phone number. A new message is sent to the phone number you entered.

How do I change the email address I use with Nokia Email service?
To change the email address you are currently using with Nokia Email service, you can remove the current address and add a new one.

To remove the current address, log in to your account. Under My Email Address, select Remove. On the next page, select Remove again.

To add a new address, select Set Up an Email Address under My Email Address. On the page that appears, enter the new email address and the password for it. Then select Next.

How do I change the password to my Nokia Email service account?
To change the password to your Nokia Email service account, log in to your account. Under My Nokia Email Account, select Change Nokia Email Password. Enter your old password and your new password, then select Save Password.

How do I update the password for the email address I use with Nokia Email service?
If you change the password to your email address with your Internet service provider, you need to update it in the email address settings for your Nokia Email service account so that you continue to receive email. Log in to your account. Under My Email Address, select Edit Settings. Enter the new password, then select Save Changes.
How do I stop receiving email on my mobile device?

One way to stop receiving email is to remove the email address from your account. Log in to your account. Under My Email Address, select Remove. On the next page, select Remove again.

Another way to stop receiving email is to remove the Nokia Email service beta software from your device. Select the Menu button on your Nokia device to access the Installations folder. Select the App. Mgr folder; highlight the Nokia Email service entry and select Remove from the options soft key.

You can also stop receiving email on your mobile device by canceling your trial subscription. To cancel your beta trial, log in to your account. Under My Subscription, select Cancel.
Troubleshooting

I have not received the SMS message yet. What do I do?

To request another SMS message with the link to the Nokia Email software, log in to your account. Then select Reinstall Nokia Email, select a Nokia device, and enter its phone number. A new message is sent to the phone number you entered.

My mobile device displays an error message about not being able to connect to the Internet.
What do I do?

An access point is a setting your mobile device uses to connect to the Internet. Your access point may be incorrectly defined or your mobile device may be out of network coverage.

Ensure that your device is within network coverage and that your access points are correctly defined. If necessary, you can download new access points from the Settings (in the Tools folder) on your device.

I get an error message when I try to get my email on my mobile device in another country.
What does this mean?

Nokia Email service requires Internet connectivity. Most often this error is due to the fact that your wireless operator does not have wireless data service roaming agreements with wireless operators in that country.
Why don't email messages I have read or deleted on my mobile device show up as read or deleted when I open my email on my PC?

The POP email protocol used by your email service provider does not support the sending of any read, unread or deleted status information from your mobile device back to the POP email server. Email actions you take on your mobile device will not appear on your PC.

I am not getting email on my mobile device any more. What do I do?
If your account is active and you are not receiving email on your mobile device, check for the following circumstances:

You may have changed the password for your Internet service provider email address. If so, you must update the Nokia Email service settings for this email address with your new password. Email messages will then be delivered to your device. To update your email address password, log in to your Nokia Email service account. Under My Email Address, select Edit Settings. Enter the new password, and then select Save Changes.

The server for your email address is down. For more information, contact your Internet service provider.
You may have inadvertently changed a setting in your Nokia Email service account. Log in to your account to determine whether your information needs to be updated.

-----------------------------------------------------

To read our latest phone reviews please visit:

HP iPAQ 910c Windows Mobile Pro Phone
Palm Treo 800w
LG Dare for Verizon
Apple iPhone 3G
Toshiba Portege G810 Windows Mobile Pro Phone
E-TEN Glofiish X650
Nokia XpressMusic 5310 for T-Mobile
HTC Touch Dual
Nokia N78
HTC Touch Diamond
Samsung Instinct for Sprint
Sony Ericsson Z750a
BlackBerry Curve 8330 for Verizon and Sprint
Samsung Access with Digital Mobile TV
HTC Advantage X7510
LG Vu Mobile Digial TV Phone
Samsung Glyde
LG enV2

More News. . .

-----
MTR News

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 83 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Tong Zhang, LisaG, News, Jacob_Spindel 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 5439

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage