MobileTechReview.com logo
MobileTechReview News, Reviews and Forums
Phone Notebooks & Tablets Gaming Gadgets iPhone & iPad Video Reviews

General Discussions >> What Should I Buy?

Pages: 1
Dusthawk

Reged: 11/22/08
Loc: Bethel Island, California
HTC PPC6800 Mogul
      #31921 - 11/22/08 04:47 AM

Greetings and Salutations!

Yes, I am new here, so I will probably ask stupid questions but it would mean a lot if you would bear with me.

I am considering replacing my brick of a Palm Treo 650 with the HTC PPC6800 Mogul. My Treo is really not living up to the promise of a smart phone that I was led to think it would be. I wanted a phone to play music, accept an SD card, take pics, have access to the internet, have blue tooth, text, and make calls. While it does all these things, I found that it does none of them very well, except play music and take an SD card. Signal reception is way below par compared to my previous flip phone. I live in a rural area and my old Flip Samsung got 3 bars as a rule, where my Treo is lucky to get one. I am constantly dropping calls and missing incoming calls. Half the time I know I get a call is when I get a voicemail signal. It never rings on the Treo. Also, a big minus is that the ringer is very quiet on the Treo. If it is on the couch and I';m in the kitchen washing dishes, I can't hear it ring, where I could clearly hear the old flip phone from the bathroom. Also, the vibrate switch at the top of the phone is too easily moved, and the vibrate feature is too weak for such a hefty phone, rendering it virtually useless IMO.

The Treo keyboard is far too small to accommodate anyone with normal sized fingers, and half the keys are too sensitive while the other half are not sensitive enough. The screen, while touch sensitive and works properly, does not lend itself to reading texts easily and is difficult to scroll at best.

Which brings me to Blue tooth capability. I thought Blue tooth was the wave of the future but it has been nothing more than an onerous task of using. I have to reset the Blue tooth after each recharge, and only half the time with it work on an incoming call. It will not work at all on an outgoing call.

With all this said, I think the PPC 6800 Mogul with solve most, if not all, of these problems. I especially like the side slide keyboard with larger keys. The larger screen also has me drooling. I never buy from my Carrier, I always buy my phones from Ebay. You can count on getting a good phone for a much better price, and you don't need to jump through a bunch of hoops for rebates and discounts. One of the big pluses for me is that it will work fine with an 8 Gig MicroSD card. I have about 60 Gigs of music I've saved from my CD collection and it would be great to take a few separate MicroSD cards along depending on my mood and what I want to hear.

The information I am having trouble finding though is about the ringer and or vibrate feature. Anyone have one who can tell me how loud it is or how strong it will vibrate considering it's size? Also, if it comes with WM6, how difficult is it to find and install WM6.1? I understand that 6.1 is much more stable and seems to work better with the phone and greatly expands the capabilities and speed of the phone.

I also found on Ebay a 2800mAH battery where the OEM battery is only 1100 mAH. Is this the best replacement for long usage or is there a battery anyone can recommend?

Thank you for your time and I apologise for the length of this query. I'm sure I'll have more questions as time goes on.

Dusthawk.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
Re: HTC PPC6800 Mogul [Re: Dusthawk]
      #31929 - 11/22/08 08:58 PM

Hmmm... why not the new HTC Touch Pro for Sprint (it replaces the Mogul)? It's a really lovely device in most respects. http://www.mobiletechreview.com/phones/Sprint-HTC-Touch-Pro.htm

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

Dusthawk

Re: HTC PPC6800 Mogul [Re: LisaG]
      #31930 - 11/22/08 09:20 PM

Mostly the price. I've been on disability for 2.5 years now and can't afford the Touch Pro. I found a Mogul on Ebay with a buy it now price of only $125. Even after rebates and discounts I would spend $300 for the touch Pro. The one on Ebay comes with a 1Gig MicroSD card and extra charger, and all the software and documents. It even has a dock that charges the phone as well as an extra battery. So, I am kinda sold on the Mogul, lolol. Besides, Mogul sounds really cool, where-as Touch Pro sounds kinda iffy, LMAO.

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
      #31931 - 11/22/08 11:08 PM

That's an excellent price for the Mogul plus items you listed. I'd go for it!

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

Dusthawk

Re: HTC PPC6800 Mogul [Re: LisaG]
      #31945 - 11/25/08 07:15 AM

Well, I bought it. It was shipped out today, I should have it by Friday or Saturday, I am on pins and needles. This will be the best phone I've even owned. I've found all kinds of places to download any application I might ever need and bookmarked them all, lolol.

I do have another question though. The seller seemed vague on if it has WM6.1 or just 6.0. Where would I get the 6.1 upgrade?

Dusthawk

#32575 - 02/08/09 07:37 AM

Awesome, Awesome, and Awesome. I love this phone!!! I have been pretty busy lately but I finally got back here. The Mogul does anything and everything I ever wanted my phone to be able to do. I have 8 two Gig microSD cards with various MP3s and games and anything I could ever need.

I do have a couple of difficulties. First, it has a tendency to turn itself on, even after I press the off button to turn off the screen to save power. This is especially vexing when I have it in my holster and am walking around. I occasionally hear it click as if I were typing but it's in the holster, I take it out, and press the off button again and replace, only to find it has turned back on a few minutes later.

I am also still trying to figure out where to find Windows Mobile 6.1. I don't know if I want to upgrade yet but I would like to know for future reference.

Thanks and see you later.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Board Mom, LisaG, Jacob_Spindel, Greg, Tong Zhang 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 5240

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage