General Discussions >> News

Pages: 1
LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
Zune Doom- 30 gig Zunes freeze and play dead at the sight of the new year
      #32267 - 12/31/08 10:22 PM

Did your Zune 30 gig (original 2006 model) give up the ghost today? It's not your particular Zune that's at fault, but rather a leap year bug that has your Zune playing dead. We know-- a company with that much money and software engineering power; and their once flagship Zune product has been felled by what seems like a kinda silly bug. Worrisome is the fact that MS states that your DRM content "most likely" should be just fine once the Zune is revived. Most likely? Hmmm..

Microsoft's Zune support says that once the clock turns over to the year 2009, the witching hour will pass and your Zune will revive. However, this requires completely draining its battery first. Here are the instructions from their web site:

" 1. Disconnect your Zune from USB and AC power sources.
2. Because the player is frozen, its battery will drain?this is good. Wait until the battery is empty and the screen goes black. If the battery was fully charged, this might take a couple of hours.
3. Wait until after noon GMT on January 1, 2009 (that's 7 a.m. Eastern or 4 a.m. Pacific time).
4. Connect your Zune to either a USB port on the back or your computer or to AC power using the Zune AC Adapter and let it charge.

Once the battery has sufficient power, the player should start normally. No other action is required?you can go back to using your Zune!

My Zune 30 has been working fine today. Should I be worried?

Nope, your Zune is fine and will continue to work as long as you do not connect it to your computer before noon GMT on January 1, 2009 (7 a.m. Eastern or 4 a.m. Pacific time).

Note: If you connect your player to a computer before noon GMT on January 1, 2009, you'll experience the freeze mentioned above?even if that computer does not have the Zune software installed. If this happens, follow the above steps."

Here's a link to the Zune 30 support page FAQ: http://www.zune.net/en-us/support/zune30.htm

--

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

Edited by Jacob_Spindel (12/31/08 10:40 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Jacob_SpindelModerator
Moderator and writer

Reged: 11/21/05
Re: Zune Doom- 30 gig Zunes freeze and play dead at the sight of the new year [Re: LisaG]
      #32268 - 12/31/08 10:47 PM

Quote:

Nope, your Zune is fine and will continue to work as long as you do not connect it to your computer

Is it just me, or is this hilarious?

Is it really safe to leave the crashed Zune until its battery drains all the way? I would be worried about abnormal strain on the backlight or battery.

If you reboot the Zune, does it just freeze again immediately? Or do Zunes just not even have a way to reset them?

--------------------
Chief iPod Correspondent
Senior Time Waster
Extreme Moderator
Moderate Extremist
Captain of the Planet Express
Assistant Jedi Librarian
--------------------

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
Re: Zune Doom- 30 gig Zunes freeze and play dead at the sight of the new year [Re: Jacob_Spindel]
      #32270 - 12/31/08 11:36 PM

Well, it's funny if you don't actually own a Zune 30 .

Once frozen, there's no way to reboot it and get it up and running again until after the dreaded date has passed and the battery has run down. If a Zune 30 hasn't been connected it to a computer on the dreaded date, then it's safe from the bug... as long as the owner doesn't connect it until after noon GMT Jan. 1, 2009 (even stranger). So don't go loading your New Year's Eve playlist on Dec.31, Zune 30 gig owners!

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 63 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Tong Zhang, LisaG, News, Jacob_Spindel 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 7010

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage