Wireless and Mobile Phones >> Windows Phone

Pages: 1
LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
Re: t-mobile pocket pc internet speed [Re: ]
      #3243 - 01/03/03 01:22 PM

I've read that the theoretical max speed of GPRS transfers is 150k if all 8 channels are used. In reality, in the US we see top speeds around 50k, with 30 - 40k being more realistic in metro areas where GSM providers are biased toward providing more channels and bandwidth for voice over data when system usage is high.

Setting the baud rate higher won't work. 1) the cellular radio doesn't behave the same way a wired modem does. 2) GPRS radios use up to 8 channels simlutaneously, each running at 19.2k, to give you that max figure. Most providers don't have the cell tower bandwidth to let you use that many channels simultaneously, hence the lower 40k figure.

IE should load pages much faster than you are seeing, and you should be able to connect to the Net whenever you want. Are you in a major metro area where many users may be congesting cell towers? Have you contacted T-Mobile about your frequent lack of connectivity and slow speeds when you do connect. Their reps should open a trouble ticket to examine cell tower capacity in your area.

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
neofreez

Reged: 03/14/05
Re: t-mobile pocket pc internet speed [Re: ]
      #19511 - 03/14/05 04:04 PM

Might be a bit late to help you, but might help others. I found two great places that can help you get your PDA connected to the Internet. If you want to do it manually it might take some time. If you are up for it Geekzone has a good tutorial that helps you configure and share the internet by using your Bluetooth enabled desktop or notebook with internet access as an internet gateway for your iPAQ Pocket PC with Windows Mobile 2003:

http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?contentid=1421

Otherwise you can get software that does it for you. This is what I have found to be the easiest way:

http://www.bvrp.com/ENG/products/GPRSManager/Default.asp

Neo

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  LisaG, Jacob_Spindel 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 8601

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage