MobileTechReview News, Reviews and Forums
Phone Notebooks & Tablets Gaming Gadgets iPhone & iPad Video Reviews

Windows Mobile, Pocket PCs >> Dell Pocket PC

Pages: 1
danscott7

Reged: 01/28/09
sync port damaged
      #32492 - 01/28/09 06:57 PM

I recently purchased a used dell axim x30. the port on the device where the plug for the charging/sync cable goes, has gold colored connectors, as these devices do. the ones on mine are bent and missing, and i believe this is the reason the plug will not stay in. This I believe must be directly related to the pc not recognizing the device is there.
The odd thing is, as incredibly loose as the connection is, the battery will charge when it's plugged in, but it will not sync, when the sync cable, which is not plugged directly into the bottom of the device, and which is plugged in firmly to the bottom of the charger plug, doesn't work.
Now, aside from that, I know this is a stupid question, but I would like some kind of outside opinion from someone more knowledgable with Dell axims than myself, before I attempt to return the device.
Is this normal for Dell Axims, or did the seller sell me a device where he somehow damaged the charge/sync port so badly the device is now useless, except for the programs already on it?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Jacob_SpindelModerator
Moderator and writer

Reged: 11/21/05
Re: sync port damaged [Re: danscott7]
      #32500 - 01/29/09 01:28 PM

Welcome to MTR danscott7. Sorry to hear about your damaged sync port.

If at all possible, I would recommend trying a different sync cable to see if the cable is the problem, rather than the Axim. If it has the same problem with all cables, then the sync port is definitely having problems, and I would recommend returning the unit if possible. I hate to say it, but it doesn't make financial sense to pursue repair options for an x30 in 2009.

It's not that weird that charging might work event though syncing doesn't. Maybe the charging pins aren't broken, but some of the syncing pins are - and it's also likely that the charging connections just tend to be a little more fault-tolerant to begin with since they probably require less precision than data connections.

--------------------
Chief iPod Correspondent
Senior Time Waster
Extreme Moderator
Moderate Extremist
Captain of the Planet Express
Assistant Jedi Librarian
--------------------

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  LisaG, Jacob_Spindel, Tong Zhang 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 8462

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage