Windows Mobile, Pocket PCs >> Toshiba Pocket PC

Pages: 1
LisaG
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
Re: SD Card for Toshiba E310 [Re: ]
      #3305 - 09/30/02 09:00 PM

You can use SD memory cards and the Toshiba bluetooth networking card in this slot.
You can store programs and files on this card to give you extra storage space.

quote:
Originally posted by <GPS34>:
I'm a novice. I recently purchased the E310 and there is a expansion slot on the top and the only directions I can find are that it is "SD (secure digital)that supports SDIO" what does that mean and could it be a way to increase memory or download??

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Astros Fan
veteran

Reged: 04/25/02
Loc: Houston, TX
Re: SD Card for Toshiba E310 [Re: LisaG]
      #3306 - 10/01/02 08:55 AM

http://www.pdabuyersguide.com/tips/storage_reviews.htm

Suresh

Reged: 10/20/02
Loc: South Riding, VA
Re: SD Card for Toshiba E310 [Re: Astros Fan]
      #3307 - 10/20/02 02:42 PM

In the SD slot on the Audiovox Thera, can I use the Toshiba SD Bluetooth card. If so, can this be part of a solution to connect my PDA to a home based ethernet network. Would greatly appreciate your response.
Thanks,
Suresh

GregModerator
PDA Addict

Reged: 02/28/02
Re: SD Card for Toshiba E310 [Re: Suresh]
      #3308 - 10/21/02 10:53 AM

Interesting question. Toshiba actually makes the Thera (though it's branded and marketed by Audiovox), so there's a chance that the BT card could work. Unfortunately, we don't have a Thera so we can't test it.
If you could get it to work, then you'd be able to ActiveSync to your desktop and surf the Net via your desktop's connection (Internet pass through connection).

quote:
Originally posted by Suresh:
In the SD slot on the Audiovox Thera, can I use the Toshiba SD Bluetooth card. If so, can this be part of a solution to connect my PDA to a home based ethernet network. Would greatly appreciate your response.
Thanks,
Suresh

--------------------
Mobile Tech Review
http://www.mobiletechreview.com

Astros Fan
veteran

Re: SD Card for Toshiba E310 [Re: Greg]
      #3309 - 10/29/02 08:37 AM

You'll be limited by range with bluetooth. So that will be a problem, unless you are in the same room as your computer. WiFi has a much longer range, that is why it is so popular. Bluetooth is becoming very popular to connect with your cellphone (b/c it is in close proximity of you). There are even bluetooth headsets to go with your cellphone, so no wiring!

LisaG
Head Honcho

#3310 - 10/29/02 10:15 AM

You'd be surpised: some of the BT devices that connect to desktops, such as the Belkin USB one I reviewed have considerable range. In a home environment, a 3970 iPAQ in the downstairs living room has no trouble getting a full signal and surfing the Net when connecting via the Belkin USB adapter plugged into a desktop PC in the upstairs study. The same was true using a Treo 90 with the Palm BT card.
BT Access points, such as the Pico, also have a range of about 100 feet! Though these puppies are still very pricey at around $600. With WiFi access points priced under $200, folks won't be switching to BT ones anytime soon [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Lisa Gade

Astros Fan
veteran

Re: SD Card for Toshiba E310 [Re: LisaG]
      #3311 - 11/12/02 01:28 PM

No kidding? I thought BT range was like 25 feet at best.

Learn something new everyday [Smile]

LisaG
Head Honcho

#3312 - 11/12/02 01:38 PM

Yeah, that's a problem with marketing. The first devices out (PDAs and cell phones) have low power radios with 25 - 30 foot range. Since the early days (not that BT is that old!), PDAs such as the iPAQ allow you to set the amount of power going to the radio which can greatly increase range.

More important than the client (a PDA in this case) is the power that a host can put out, such as a PC or access point. These don't have to be as stingy with power compared to PDAs or cell phones, so the radio output is higher. Even if the PDA has a short range, as long as the host is putting out a strong signal capable of reaching distances of 50 or 100 feet, then your PDA will be in host range and will work at those distances.

However, if you're connecting a PDA to a cell phone, you're still in the 25 foot ballpark (maybe a bit higher with the iPAQ on a high power setting).

quote:
Originally posted by Astros Fan:
No kidding? I thought BT range was like 25 feet at best.

Learn something new everyday [Smile]

--------------------
Lisa Gade

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Greg, Jacob_Spindel 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 7065

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage