MobileTechReview.com logo
MobileTechReview News, Reviews and Forums
Phone Notebooks & Tablets Gaming Gadgets iPhone & iPad Video Reviews

General Discussions >> What Should I Buy?

Pages: 1
RickE

Reged: 10/11/07
Can't decide between these 3 smart phones
      #33314 - 05/22/09 12:07 PM

Hi,
I need some help in selecting a phone to buy, if anyone can offer some insight and/or assistance that would be great.
I have been in the market to buy a smart phone for a while now but I am finally ready to buy one. After some research I have narrowed it down to 3 possibilities: Sony Ericsson Xperia, HTC Fuze or the HTC TyTN II.
Of course I am open to any other suggestions but these are my requirements: Quadband GSM, Windows Mobile, QWERTY keyboard, 3G, WIFI, Video & Still Camera with flash, GPS, Stereo Sound and Head Phone attachement & JAVA (would be nice).

I am in Toronto Canada so I would hope that the services offered on the phone would be compatible with our GSM service providers here (Rogers or Fido; preferably Rogers).

Besides using the phoen for talking I would mainly be using the phone for: web browsing, applications, music, camera and finally GPS.

Can anyone help narrow down my selection to one phone (it doesn't necessarily have to be one of the above; but my research narrowed me down to those ones).
Thanks,

RickE

Edited by RickE (05/22/09 12:08 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
Re: Can't decide between these 3 smart phones [Re: RickE]
      #33317 - 05/22/09 03:10 PM

Being in the US, I'm not an expert on Canadian cell service, but I believe you use the same 850/1900MHz bands as AT&T in the US, so you should be set for 3G. If you get the Fuze, you'll have to get the unlocked version or get the AT&T model unlocked (not hard at all). The Fuze is a very nice device, but if you get the AT&T version, the firmware and software leave something to be desired-- there's lots of bloatware. Flashing it with an alternative ROM from XDA Developers makes a world of difference-- much better!

The Xperia is a really nice device but it is very, very expensive-- don't know if that's important to you. If you get it, make sure it's the X1a which has north American 3G and not the Euro X1. The camera is the best among the 3, and the GPS is the fastest to get a fix.

The TyTN II is pretty dated and I wouldn't really recommend it over the other 2.

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

RickE

Re: Can't decide between these 3 smart phones [Re: LisaG]
      #33320 - 05/24/09 10:55 AM

Thanks Lisa. I will check out the the reviews of the Xperia and the Fuze and compare them head to head to finalise between these 2.
Thanks again.

RickE

An update to my situation [Re: RickE]
      #33793 - 07/27/09 05:42 PM

Well, it turns out Rogers is now offering the Sony Xperia and I have just got it. Have been playing around with it this morning and will give some more details once I get some decent experience with it.
I have also read that the WinMo 6.1 that it comes with is pretty slow so I may upgrade using a cooked Rom with WinMo 6.5. Will update the situation as it develops.

RickE

Re: An update to my situation [Re: RickE]
      #33874 - 08/04/09 10:32 AM

Well I have not added a cooked ROM yet but currently am getting used to all the features on the phone. One obvious drawback is the lack of an accelerometer. There should at least be a short cut button to change to landscape mode but you have to go into several different screens to actually change it. Also on the onscreen keyboard there is no @ button so typing email addresses quickly is not so easy, you will need to go to the symbols keyboard and search the several symbols for what you are looking for, but at least the qwerty keyboard has an @ symbol.
I will add more info the more familiar I get with the phone.

winddomino

Reged: 12/04/09
Loc: LA
Re: An update to my situation [Re: RickE]
      #35322 - 12/04/09 09:04 PM

The Xperia is a really nice device but it is very, very expensive-- don't know if that's important to you. If you get it, make sure it's the X1a which has north American 3G and not the Euro X1. The camera is the best among the 3, and the GPS is the fastest to get a fix.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 5 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Board Mom, LisaG, Jacob_Spindel, Greg, Tong Zhang 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 6256

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage