General Discussions >> News

Pages: 1
LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
Video review: HTC Touch Pro2 Windows Mobile Pro phone
      #33367 - 06/01/09 04:04 PM

Sometimes it seems that Windows Mobile progresses at a glacial pace, but thanks to the folks at HTC who take matters into their own hands, everything old is new again. The HTC Touch Pro2 runs Windows Mobile 6.1 Professional (the touch screen version of WinMo) but HTC's extreme makeover will make you think this must be Windows Mobile 7. Their TouchFlo 3D has progressed from the original Diamond, then to the Touch HD and now the Diamond2 and Touch Pro2 to a thing of beauty that won't make you hide your phone when the iPhoners want to play show and tell. It's responsive, fast and makes the most of a non-capacitive touch screen thanks to the enlarged user interface and extensive icon and menu customizations.

The Touch Pro2 has a massive 800 x 480 display that measures 3.6"-- just the right size to be finger-friendly and to show off videos, photos and web pages using Opera. While the Diamond2 shares the same resolution, its 2.8" screen just doesn't have the same wow factor and usability (likewise for the first gen Touch Pro/Fuze).

The Touch Pro2 is an unlocked quad band GSM world phone with EDGE and 3G HSDPA only on the Euro bands. You'll have to wait for the US carrier-branded versions to get 3G in the US. Thanks to leaks on the web, it looks like most if not all US carriers will eventually get this phone.

Here's our 10 minute video review of the Touch Pro2:

Specs:

800 x 480, 3.6" touch screen display with haptic feedback and accelerometer
528MHz Qualcom MSM7200A CPU, 512 megs flash memory, 288 megs RAM
GPS
WiFi and Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR
3.2 MP camera with autofocus lens, can record VGA video
slide and tilt QWERTY keyboard
6.61 ounces
YouTube player
TouchFlo 3D user interface
1500 mAh Lithium Ion battery
SDHC microSD card slot

Our full written review will follow soon, and in the meantime, feel free to post questions. Suffice it say in the meanwhile, I like it mucho!

-

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Benkho

Reged: 06/01/09
Re: Video review: HTC Touch Pro2 Windows Mobile Pro phone [Re: LisaG]
      #33371 - 06/01/09 06:02 PM

Is there FM-Radio? (hardware and or software?)
According rumors they just removed FM-Radio...?

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Re: Video review: HTC Touch Pro2 Windows Mobile Pro phone [Re: Benkho]
      #33372 - 06/01/09 06:11 PM

There is no FM radio application. Since this is the unlocked version it wasn't removed to suit a carrier, so I'd think that means the hardware isn't there, or if it is, that it somehow caused device problems and so they axed the application. I know someone on XDA Devs is working on an FM radio CAB file for the Touch Pro2, we'll have to see how that goes once he posts it.

--------------------
Lisa Gade

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

#33375 - 06/01/09 10:27 PM

Update: the FM radio application from XDA-Developers works and there is definitely FM radio hardware on the Touch Pro2. Reception is OK, though not as stellar as recent Nokia S60 phones. Nonetheless, this is good news! I haven't run into any problems, so I wonder why HTC didn't include the FM radio app standard.

--------------------
Lisa Gade

XATAguy

Reged: 06/02/09
Loc: Knoxville/Miami
      #33381 - 06/02/09 08:27 AM

Thank you so much for the fantastic review of this device. I very much enjoyed it. From your review, it looks as though they did indeed omit a flash for the camera. This is a bit of a bummer, but not serious enough to prevent me from buying one at my first opportunity. I have a couple of questions. There have been rumors that because the release of this device precedes that of WM6.5 by what may be as little as a few months, that free upgrades to 6.5 will be offered. Have you heard anything on this? Also, you mentioned a camera on the front of the device. Do you know if any U.S. carriers will offer video telecommunications?

I did notice that you used the term ?specialized? when referring to the charging/syncing port. I believe these are non-proprietary mini USB?s on the HTC devices. While it may appear I am being hypercritical on this small issue, this is actually a very nice feature of the HTC devices. If you ever find yourself in need of a sync cable (I tether mine and use it as a cell modem so that I can use my lap top in the field) a standard of-the-shelf USB to mini USB cable is all that is needed. No need to shop for hard to find proprietary parts from the manufacturer. I wish all of the manufacturers would standardize and do this.

Thanks again for a great review. Job well done! Now the million-dollar question: When can I buy one from AT&T?

Thanks,
Dave

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Re: Video review: HTC Touch Pro2 Windows Mobile Pro phone [Re: XATAguy]
      #33383 - 06/02/09 09:09 AM

That's right: no flash on the Touch Pro2 nor the Diamond2.

No US carrier offers 2-way video conferencing. AT&T offers one-way (VideoShare), and I would imagine their version of this phone will probably support that. Sorry, no idea when the AT&T version will come out.

When HTC announced the TP2 and Diamond2 they said they would be upgradable to WinMo 6.5, so they should be. No idea about US carrier branded versions though.

The drawback to HTC's ExtUSB connector is that you must use their headset or carry a dongle adapter to use a 3.5mm stereo headset or headphones. Folks really like having a 3.5mm jack on multimedia capable phones.

--------------------
Lisa Gade

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 139 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Tong Zhang, LisaG, News, Jacob_Spindel 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 9166

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage