MobileTechReview.com logo
MobileTechReview News, Reviews and Forums
Phone Notebooks & Tablets Gaming Gadgets iPhone & iPad Video Reviews

General Discussions >> What Should I Buy?

Pages: 1
mship

Reged: 06/02/09
Need help choosing a device
      #33398 - 06/02/09 11:01 PM

Count me in with the what do I buy crowd. I've been researching device options and now I'm more confused than ever.

I'm a writer that is basically looking for a pocket sized word processor. Since, to my knowledge, these no longer exist, I bought a Palm TX. It's a great device but I never could get used to the stylus or the Palm OS. So it's been collecting dust for a year and a half and will be going up on ebay in the next couple days.

The thought of carrying both a phone and a PDA seems redundant so I began looking at the combo, windows mobile smartphones. That way I could sync a Word document to the phone and edit it and send it back. This seemes like a good option. I'm under contract with Verizon but eligible for an upgrade. Really like my ENV2 but note taking is not that good on it.

I looked at the Blackberry Storm and the Samsung Omnia. I wasn't impressed with either. I found the keyboard on the Storm to be ridiculous and the Omnia is definately a stylus only keyboard. Not to mention the fact that with Verizon you have to get the data plan, which I doubt I would use. I'm not looking for an internet device or email function. I suppose if I had one of these phones and was in a free wifi spot I might jump on the net, but it is not something I want to shell out $40/mo for.

Looked at the netbook option. Though they are not really posket size I thought it might work. Until I found out it is basically designed for wifi browsing. The guy at Best Buy told me I could purchase MS Word ($149) and either have them install it or purchase an external CD drive ($100). Suddenly this got into laptop sale price range and it seemed stupid to buy a netbook when a laptop was almost the same price.

So now I'm not sure where I'm at. Does anyone have any suggestions? As I said I'm not really worried about wifi, bluetooth, media player, etc. Also don't want to go the stylus keyboard route, need a hard keyboard. I don't plan on writing a novel on this device, but I would like to take a chapter with me and edit it.

Any suggestions woud be appreciated.

mship

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Jacob_SpindelModerator
Moderator and writer

Reged: 11/21/05
Re: Need help choosing a device [Re: mship]
      #33427 - 06/07/09 06:55 PM

Welcome to MTR, mship.

I would recommend reconsidering a netbook. There are other word processing options, such as OpenOffice, which are cheaper than MS Word (sometimes free), and some of them are available in downloadable formats that don't require an optical drive. You could also see if you know someone who could lend you a CD drive for a few minutes... they tend to be a pretty common item.

--------------------
Chief iPod Correspondent
Senior Time Waster
Extreme Moderator
Moderate Extremist
Captain of the Planet Express
Assistant Jedi Librarian
--------------------

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Board Mom, LisaG, Jacob_Spindel, Greg, Tong Zhang 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2822

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage