Pages: 1
LordGek
PDA Addict

Reged: 08/13/02
Loc: California
iPhone Game Review: Frenzic
      #34406 - 09/03/09 02:05 PM

iPhone Game Review: Frenzic

Finally, a game based on the best part of Trivial Pursuit without all of the annoying trivia nonsense! You'll be taking on the role of a colored wedge sorting robot whose cruel controller thought it would be fun to see how long you could last as he quickly turns up the heat.

Gameplay

Here is the gist of gameplay, click on one of the six surrounding circles with an appropriate opening to place the currently active wedge. Completely fill a circle with wedgies and it will empty itself, scoring you points. If you can?t manage to place a wedge before your limited time is up (either the required space is not open or you just don?t want to place this piece), you?ll lose a life. While this is the game in a nutshell, I?d be held criminally liable if I didn?t add in the importance of ?Circle Purity?.

While simply filling in a circle with any of the three colored wedges at hand would be sufficient to gain you a handful of points and free up the completed circle, if you manage to fill a circle with only wedges of a single color you?ll receive an extra life, score some significant points, and possibly earn yourself one of the game?s three power-ups!

Graphics

The game has a very minimalist retro neon look with its 2D graphics. While there isn?t a lot to it, what is there is very slick and polished looking with a very intuitive user interface layout.

Sound

The game?s sounds are pretty minimal and very mechanical with a pretty minimal spacey soundtrack playing in the background. It really fits even the image of robot you see on the game?s title screen as if you?re taking on the role of a robotic wedge sorter.

Pros:
-Incredibly simple pick up and play mechanics, easy to play but, as things speed up, nearly impossible to master.
-While both the sounds and graphics are fairly basic, they really fit well into the game?s overall very polished presentation.
-Local and online scoring.
-Tracks various career statistics.
-Not only does the game feature online scoring but allows you to create an account so that you can access your score and stats from your computer or even another iDevice.
-Three handy power-ups, Slowdown, Double Points, and Nuke to help keep things manageable.
-A key setting option I don't think I've ever seen before in a video game is its in depth color blind settings. This is not simply, here are some non-colored/shape based options, but different color palettes optimized for different types of color blindedness!

Cons:
-What you see at the very beginning is what you get. There are no clever new mechanics to be added at later stages, just the exact same thing as you saw at the very beginning with the only difference being the current piece timer counts down a lot faster.
-If not a fan of extremely frantic high speed reactive gameplay, you may want to pass on this one as it really requires you to be able to properly find a home for your wedges at light speed just a few minutes in.
-There is only the one mode and difficulty to choose from.

Conclusion

I really liked it. It is an addictively simple pickup and play puzzler that quickly ramps up to a frenzied pace (?Frenzic? perfectly describes what you?ll be in for in this game).

Gameplay Video

Ratings (scale of 1 to 5):

Graphics: -4- Pretty minimal but fit in perfectly with the game?s overall level of polish.
Sound: -4- While also fairly minimal, they fit the spacey futuristic and mechanical theme of the game perfectly.
Controls: -5- The game?s controls could not be simpler, just tap on any of the surrounding circles to place your wedge or tap the desired powerup icon.
Gameplay: -4.5- Extremely simple and addictive but very frantic. This is a game for adrenaline junkies, folk looking for a nice leisurely stroll through the park might want to stay clear from this one.

Playing Hints and Tips:
-Keep things in balance! While singular color circles are the ideal, you can?t really expect to dedicate all six circles to this goal. While you?ll need to find your own balance I seem to, on average, hold out on about two circles at any given point for making singular color fills with the rest of my circles being open to anything that will fit.

-Know when to stand strong on purity! There will be times the only available space you can place a wedge in would break up a circle you have been trying to keep a single color. It is definitely a personal call, but my motto is that if I have a lot of extra lives at the moment, I?ll stand strong and NOT place the piece at the cost of a life.

-Not all game spaces are created equally! You earn a power-up when you make a single colored circle in the space right next to the given power-up (like the top center one to earn a Nuke). So these are the circles you might want to focus most on keeping color pure.

-Scoring Explained! You get points placing wedges and again once a circle is cleared. Placing a wedge is worth 1 point multiplied by how many pieces of that color already exist in the wedge. So placing your first green wedge would be 1 point, your second 2 points, and so on up to 6 points if you ended up willing the circle with green wedges. You receive 1 point for every piece cleared from a full circle (so 6 points) or double points if you complete a circle in a single color (12 points). Realize the Double Points power-up will multiply all points by 2 for 25 seconds once activated and that using the Nuke power-up will score you a point for each wedge already in play when you wiped them all out (or 2 if the Double Points power-up is already in effect).

Game Facts:
Developer: The Iconfactory
Release Date: November 18th 2008
Version: 1.1 (OS 3.0 Tested)
Genre: Reaction Arcade
File Size: 8.0 MB
Price: $2.99
Buy Game:
Full Version: iTunes App Store

--------------------
Staff Reviewer at Mobile Tech Review

Edited by LordGek (09/04/09 07:32 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Tong ZhangModerator
Senior Editor

Reged: 06/26/02
Loc: Texas
Re: iPhone Game Review: Frenzic [Re: LordGek]
      #34407 - 09/03/09 03:11 PM

Awesome review, LG!!

Will have to try it out.

---------------
MTR iPhone Game Reviews

Carlosz
PDA Addict

Reged: 07/28/09
Re: iPhone Game Review: Frenzic [Re: Tong Zhang]
      #34414 - 09/03/09 07:13 PM

This is an awesome game! Great review LG.

LordGek
PDA Addict

Re: iPhone Game Review: Frenzic [Re: Carlosz]
      #34415 - 09/03/09 07:35 PM

Hey Carlosz,

I take it you're already a proud owner of the game as it's been out forever already, any cool tips?

Like what is your theory on when to hold out for a pure color circle?

--------------------

Carlosz
PDA Addict

#34420 - 09/03/09 11:40 PM

Well LG, I bought this the day it was released.

I don't have any special strategy (maybe that's why I'm not too good at it).

My top score is just 1503.

And if you allow me my rating is 5/5. I love the graphics, sounds, online/local high score system and statistics.

DevilishlyGood
PDA Addict

Reged: 07/27/09
Loc: United States
      #34422 - 09/04/09 12:01 AM

This sounds kind of hard...

LordGek
PDA Addict

#34424 - 09/04/09 07:47 AM

Quote:

Well LG, I bought this the day it was released.

I don't have any special strategy (maybe that's why I'm not too good at it).

My top score is just 1503.

And if you allow me my rating is 5/5. I love the graphics, sounds, online/local high score system and statistics.

@CarlosZ
I hear you. I actually find it hard to fairly rate graphics and sound on a game like this which is intentionally retro and minimalistic. I also like the idea of second opinion, guys, if I do a review and you guys actually feel the game, in your humble opinion deserves higher or lower marks, just say so. It is only good to have multiple opinions out there.

@DG
Is this game unduly hard? Yes and no. While things do get pretty fast, the core gameplay is so incredibly simple that, assuming you can handle a little high speed action, you'll get better and better each go.

Another cool aspect I should have worked in the review is the statistic of "Devotion Level". This is just some cute stat I think they broke into 7 stages that just rates how long you've spent playing the game. Beyond just being a cute stat to show how pathetically addicted to the game you might be, they work this into at least one of the score displays so you can see how you stack up against other players at your same devotion level. So you can see your newbie score in comparison to other newbies and so on. I'm sure some twit could easily find a work around by, say, setting up a new account after becoming a true master so then he could be KING of the Newbies, but, for the most part, I think it's a fair gage to measure stuff by.

--------------------

IFWebmaster

Reged: 09/04/09
Loc: Greensboro, NC
      #34425 - 09/04/09 09:29 AM

Thanks for the great review and kind words about Frenzic everyone. The game's been out and available for a few years so we forget just how much people enjoy playing it. The mobile version is really a nice way to waste some time when you're in line somewhere or are in the mood to challenge yourself and your reflexes.

Begin shameless pitch: If you enjoyed Frenzic, then have a look at our latest iPhone game, Ramp Champ. The genre and type of game is completely different, but it was crafted with the same helping of love and attention to detail that Frenzic was. Check it out at:

http://rampchamp.com

End shameless pitch.

Thanks again everyone, enjoy Frenzic!

LordGek
PDA Addict

Re: iPhone Game Review: Frenzic [Re: IFWebmaster]
      #34429 - 09/04/09 09:51 AM

Quote:

Thanks for the great review and kind words about Frenzic everyone. The game's been out and available for a few years so we forget just how much people enjoy playing it. The mobile version is really a nice way to waste some time when you're in line somewhere or are in the mood to challenge yourself and your reflexes.

Begin shameless pitch: If you enjoyed Frenzic, then have a look at our latest iPhone game, Ramp Champ. The genre and type of game is completely different, but it was crafted with the same helping of love and attention to detail that Frenzic was. Check it out at:

http://rampchamp.com

End shameless pitch.

Thanks again everyone, enjoy Frenzic!

Glad to have you onboard, IFWebmaster!

I've heard a lot of great stuff about Ramp Champ and am looking forward to checking it out. I really admire how it looks like each of the ramps play very differently beyond just having different graphical themes!

--------------------

Carlosz
PDA Addict

#34431 - 09/04/09 09:58 AM

Ramp Champ is a very, very polished game!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 76 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Tong Zhang, LisaG, News, Jacob_Spindel 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 12675

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage