MobileTechReview.com logo
MobileTechReview News, Reviews and Forums
Phone Notebooks & Tablets Gaming Gadgets iPhone & iPad Video Reviews

General Discussions >> What Should I Buy?

Pages: 1
ardeus

Reged: 10/01/09
Sony Ereader Touch or the Coming Daily Reader?
      #34746 - 10/01/09 08:43 AM

I purchased the ereader yesterday at borders for $300 yesterday. Love the support for pdf (as I will be using for this feature mainly) and the mp3 feature is an added plus.

However I have also been taken away by the Kindle DX (though the price point is clearly wide between them two) screen size at 9.7, and took me a couple months to decide.

As with the ereader touch, the only negatives here are potentially the contrast and the slight glare to me.

Does it make sense to wait for the Daily Reader (coming out in Dec) which will be at $399? What I seem to get with the extra hundred is: 1) another inch of viewable screen, 2) 16 layers of grayscale as opposed to 8 layers on this touch device 3) 3G wireless 4) and potentially an additional fix to this glare issure.

What are your thoughts on this? Thanks.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
Re: Sony Ereader Touch or the Coming Daily Reader? [Re: ardeus]
      #34748 - 10/01/09 12:25 PM

The additional inch is tempting since it shouldn't make the reader quite large (the Kindle DX is a big boy!). But I really doubt the glare will have changed much in a few months. While Sony's R&D can occasionally work miracles, after years of looking at all manner of touch screens and eInk displays, I don't think they can bring it down much more as long as the touch screen digitizer layer is present. They could make the finish more matte but that would detrimentally affect text clarity and contrast.

The 16 shades of gray won't make a difference for text (2 shades are all you need for good text rendering). It will somewhat improve images. Since the Daily Reader will be targeting newspaper and magazine delivery, and those tend to have lots of images, Sony went with 16 shades. It could make illustrations in PDFs look a bit better-- generally photographic illustrations benefit more than line art. I wouldn't say the difference is huge though. When color eInk comes out or 256 shades of gray, then we're talking!

I'd say the biggest selling points of the Daily Reader will be eBook and periodical delivery over 3G and (less so) the slightly larger screen. If 3G eBook shopping and periodical delivery a la Kindle is important to you, the the Daily Reader is worth $100 more. Otherwise, save your money for books .

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Board Mom, LisaG, Jacob_Spindel, Greg, Tong Zhang 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3676

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage