General Discussions >> News

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
Sony Ericsson Xperia X10 with US 3G has arrived, photos inside
      #36379 - 03/19/10 11:30 AM

Well yeehah! We've just received our Sony Ericsson Xperia X10 Android super-phone with US 3G for review. No, you can't buy one just yet, sorry. But it should be available in the next few months. The good news: it's gorgeous as you'd expect from a high end Sony Ericsson phone and it's quite stable and quick even with pre-release firmware.

The X10 has a 4" capacitive touch screen with 480 x 854 resolution (same as the Moto Droid and a few pixels bigger than the Nexus One). Like the Nexus One,it runs on a 1GHz Snapdragon CPU and it has an accelerometer and proximity sensor. The Xperia X10 runs Android 1.6 Donut rather than the latest, greatest 2.1 Android OS. But we forgive Sony Ericsson because they've done a lot of customization that makes us forget about the newer OS.

Particularly impressive are the Timescape and Mediascape applications. Our video review will cover those in detail, but suffice to say that Timescape is a unique app that brings together social networking and multimedia in a timeline while Mediascape is a multimedia application with lots of eye candy.

The custom and standard applications run smoothly and the phone is quite fast. Again, this isn't even release firmware, so color us impressed.

Other features include a GPS, approximately 475 megs of internal storage free, WiFi, Bluetooth and a very good 8.1 megapixel camera with autofocus lens.

The Xperia X10 will likely be sold as an unlocked GSM quad band world phone. There will be 2 US versions: one with AT&T 3G HSDPA and another with T-Mobile US 3G HSDPA.

Our video review of the Xperia X10 is here: http://www.mobiletechreview.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Number=36383

-

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

Edited by LisaG (03/19/10 01:28 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
punyparker04
PDA Addict

Reged: 03/12/10
Re: Sony Ericsson Xperia X10 with US 3G has arrived, photos inside [Re: LisaG]
      #36382 - 03/19/10 01:07 PM

!!!NO FREAKING WAY!!!...In all honesty, this is the phone I've been wanting, ever since I saw it in November 2009 I just can't get it out of my head. I heard at&t would be getting it (which I'm hoping is true, with all my heart haha, had them since they were Cingular)but don't know how much longer I have to wait! I can upgrade now, but don't know if I should get the backflip or wait for this to hit at&t, if it even does.

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Re: Sony Ericsson Xperia X10 with US 3G has arrived, photos inside [Re: punyparker04]
      #36384 - 03/19/10 01:16 PM

No idea if this will hit AT&T. It certainly would be a strong competitor to the iPhone and I don't know how much Apple will like that. Sony Ericsson hasn't disclosed a release date yet. The phone is looking pretty strong and doesn't seem to need that much more work, but last I heard it might release as late as May or June.

--------------------
Lisa Gade

Jim_N

Reged: 03/19/10
      #36385 - 03/19/10 01:22 PM

WOW. I am unbelievably excited.

I'm already itching for the video to see this thing in action!!

Like parker04sm, I've been waiting for this phone ever since they announced it in Nov '09.

No disrespect, but IMHO, you would be severely selling yourself short by getting the Backflip with this baby set to land in the US soon.

As for AT&T availability..... from a very good/reputable/reliable source;
http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2010/02/16/sony-ericsson-x10-definitely-hitting-att/

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Re: Sony Ericsson Xperia X10 with US 3G has arrived, photos inside [Re: Jim_N]
      #36386 - 03/19/10 01:32 PM

Our video review of the Xperia X10 is here: http://www.mobiletechreview.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Number=36383

No offense to BG, but they're not exactly always right. Very early leaks and rumors are tricky because carriers can spend months negotiating and qualifying phones only to never release them on their network. AT&T has done that with several nice SE phones before. And then, there's the Apple will have a fit problem. But we can hope and pray it does come to AT&T with a juicy subsidy.

--------------------
Lisa Gade

Jim_N

#36388 - 03/19/10 01:42 PM

Fair enough, clearly you're MUCH better at this stuff than I am!

Even if the x10 doesn't pan out on AT&T, I was really hoping for the T-mobile version myself.

Thanks for the video review!!

punyparker04
PDA Addict

Reged: 03/12/10
Re: Sony Ericsson Xperia X10 with US 3G has arrived, photos inside [Re: Jim_N]
      #36391 - 03/19/10 02:39 PM

Yeah, the X10 is WAY better than the Backflip...but I want to upgrade to android!

liteon163

Reged: 03/20/10
Re: Sony Ericsson Xperia X10 with US 3G has arrived, photos inside [Re: punyparker04]
      #36418 - 03/20/10 12:15 PM

Most of the recent videos I've seen of this phone in action at trade shows indicate the phone is running on AT&T. That means something to me. Between BGR and that, I firmly believe the phone will be coming soon to AT&T.

As for Apple, while AT&T has the iPhone exclusive I can't see AT&T agreeing to let a hardware manufacturer limit what else they can offer. Wouldn't that be collusion?

perlanchor

#36419 - 03/20/10 12:21 PM

Jim I agree, they have a deal with Tmobile UK+vodafone+Virgina+Orange, i don't see why they would limit their promiscuity here in the USA and not cash in. It would be a mistake for SE to make the deal Apple made with AT&T. Maybe SE should bring more of their awesome phones here, Vivaz pro,Satio, and Aino.

Bobomo

Re: Sony Ericsson Xperia X10 with US 3G has arrived, photos inside [Re: perlanchor]
      #36423 - 03/20/10 03:05 PM

Lisa - Thanks very much for this video. I just checked out the HD2 last night, and now I'm in search of a LARGE screen Android device. The X10 does show some promise, but I do have some concerns.

As to carriers, if this does get sold unlocked/unsubsidized for both US GSM carriers, any chance it will be sold in Google's new online store? If it does make it subsidized to AT&T as some people are insinuating, what will become of the T-Mobile AWS version? Will it be banished from the US and only available for import, or just sold unlocked and unadvertised? Any chance of a T-Mobile deal? I don't know was SE's M.O. is in this regard.

My second concern is about the "Timescape" software. How useful do you believe it would be for someone who doesn't care about Twitter or Facebook updates? I'm not much for "social media" and just want a solid UI. Is this stuff useful or just gimmicky? What is SE's software development reputation?

Thanks.

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Re: Sony Ericsson Xperia X10 with US 3G has arrived, photos inside [Re: Bobomo]
      #36424 - 03/20/10 03:49 PM

Google hasn't announced what their next devices will be, though they hinted that a Motorola model with keyboard may be next. It certainly would be awesome if they picked it up, though it's hard to say if they would offer it with a carrier subsidy as they do for the Nexus One on T-Mobile.

Even if Google didn't pick it up for their online store, other retailers and the SE website could offer it unlocked with no contract (places like Dell, Buy.com and Amazon sell US targeted unlocked phones). Since there are supposed to be 2 US models (1 AT&T 3G and 1 T-Mobile 3G) it wouldn't be an import item, but a US model.

Timescape is useful for music, photos and multimedia too. It's not just about social networking. Though the social networking aspect really does make it shine. You don't even need to run the Timescape app if you don't want to. The SE software is pretty well done and is lightweight. It reminds me more of the useful and unobtrusive enhancements to high end SE feature phones rather than the heavy-handed stuff they did for Windows Mobile Xperia models.

--------------------
Lisa Gade

Bobomo

#36425 - 03/20/10 04:31 PM

Thanks for the reply. So in your estimation the most likely scenario is what? Completely unlocked release in the US, or AT&T subsidy + T-Mo unlocked? Or something else I'm missing?

I just watched the GSMArena video, and the Timescape UI really seemed to lag, specifically on finger swipes (to change screens) and using the "back" button. I don't know if you've seen the video (and I don't know what your link posting policy is), but if you have, is that an accurate reflection of the UI speed? Your demonstration seemed to move a little quicker, but you were also using the icons on the bottom to navigate, and editing between tasks.

Has SE replaced the standard Facebook/Photo/Music/Video apps completely with Timescape/Mediascape, or are they merely displaced as the defaults?

Thanks again.

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

#36426 - 03/20/10 04:57 PM

My guess is that it will sold unlocked via the usual suspects: SE, Dell, Amazon and etc.

GSM Arena's video is from Nov. 2009, and I'd say the software/firmware have improved since then. Ours is quite fast and fluid.

I don't see the standard Android music or gallery apps. I confess to not miss them at all. Facebook (standard Facebook app) was pre-installed on our unit.

--------------------
Lisa Gade

Bobomo

#36427 - 03/20/10 05:30 PM

Thanks for the input. I appreciate it!

For the record, the GSM Arena video I'm referring to was posted to YouTube on March 18th, and the phone in the demo is showing a date of March 17th. The lag I'm referring to is pretty specific to the right-to-left finger swipe in order to change panels. There seems to be a half second pause between completion of the gesture and responding to it; as opposed to something like the Android desktop, which almost moves in direct response to that particular gesture.

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

#36429 - 03/20/10 06:27 PM

There's no pausing on our unit. It changes as quickly as my Nexus One.

--------------------
Lisa Gade

TMW

Reged: 03/22/10
      #36453 - 03/22/10 10:29 AM

Anxiously awaiting the NAM version of the SE X10. Wondering if the forum can confirm a few of the features.

Forward facing camera?

(I'm finding some links and even video clips on Youtube that say "yes", but then there is no mention of it on the SE website. I would think that it would be mentioned like crazy, kinda' similar to the Nokia N97.)

These articles and video mention that it has the forward facing camera:
http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/articles/2...one-3gs-one.htm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_uHX3xh7XGU

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Re: Sony Ericsson Xperia X10 with US 3G has arrived, photos inside [Re: TMW]
      #36455 - 03/22/10 11:53 AM

There is no front-facing camera on our unit which is the Xperia X10a. The Euro version (X10 with no "a") might have one.

--------------------
Lisa Gade

andddlay

Loc: Michigan, United
      #36471 - 03/22/10 10:11 PM

Hey Lisa! I have a few more questions, if I may...

When I used the Sony Ericsson k790a, I loved the shutter key for taking pictures: to take a picture, one would have to push half-way down (I'm pretty sure it focused) and then all of the way down to actually take the picture. Is this the case with the X10?

After reading Engadget's review and seeing their video, I was a bit surprised about the on-screen keyboard (regarding the amount of bugs and the space bar being very small while in portrait view). Do you suspect that SE will clear up the bugs and increase the size of the spacebar while in portrait mode before launch? Also, just to make sure (though it may be a silly question), the user can type text messages while in landscape mode, right?

I hope SE can pop out 2.1 relatively soon after the release date, for, from what I have read, Android v2.1 is required for flash 10.1.

Thank you for your time

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Re: Sony Ericsson Xperia X10 with US 3G has arrived, photos inside [Re: andddlay]
      #36472 - 03/22/10 10:25 PM

The shutter works the same way: focus by pressing half way down.

The size of the spacebar and the portrait mode keyboard in general hasn't bothered me much. I doubt that it will change much before release since we have a late firmware and the phone's about to be released in Europe. Yes, you can type texts in landscape mode. The landscape keyboard is available most everywhere, just rotate the phone to switch.

--------------------
Lisa Gade

TMW

Reged: 03/22/10
      #36494 - 03/23/10 05:23 PM

Thanks LisaG! I've got to get confirmation on the forward facing camera. If I were to buy the European I wouldn't get 3G on AT&T domestically, I'd be forced to EDGE.

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 80 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Tong Zhang, LisaG, News, Jacob_Spindel 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 31200

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage