Tong ZhangModerator
Senior Editor

Reged: 06/26/02
Loc: Texas
iPhone Game Review: I Luv Chocolat
      #39951 - 02/12/11 11:31 AM

iPhone Game Review: I Luv Chocolat
Reviewed by ninjackid

It's obvious that the main character of I Luv Chocolat by Zatun ,well, loves chocolate. But does it really make as fun a game as really eating chocolate?

Gameplay

The entire premise of I Luv Chocolat's mere 7 levels is to jump up and down and eat various pieces of chocolate falling from the sky in order to get enough points in the game?s time limit. The gameplay in all 7 levels is quite similar and varies only when some obstacles appear which you must overcome to get eat more chocolate, such as a chubby kid who hits you if you bump into him, or a conveyor belt which pushes you in on direction, making it harder for you to move and there's even a flying kid who shoots at you with his bow and arrow.

The chocolates fall from the sky along with various power-ups and power-downs. They all do the same thing, though. All the power-ups basically just add more time to your time limit, while the power-downs decrease your time. There is also a lack on an online leaderboard system. There's just a local score system.

The controls are simple in the game: you control our little chocolate-lover with a button to jump and a slider to move left and right. While these are easy to pick up, the controls could be a little more responsive. The slider area is a bit too small so when your finger moves out of the tiny area you must lift your finger and put it back right on the slider to regain control. The game would be much smoother if the slider area were a little bigger.

Graphics & Sound

For a chocolate and candy themed game, I Luv Chocolat?s graphics don?t disappoint. All candy pieces look colorful and delicious; good enough to make you want to eat them! The overall graphics are bright and colorful, fit the game?s theme well.

The sounds are also done well enough, there is one music track for the main menu, and another track for the levels. They are done well and have a light candy-ish sound which certainly fits the theme of the game. Sound effects are good also, but nothing particularly outstanding about them. iPod music is supported.

Conclusion

I Luv Chocolat is a good effort, and has some fun points and colorful graphics. The clunky controls need more work and hopefully the developer will have updates that address the slider issue. Gameplay while fun isn?t very deep. We would really like to see more elements and levels added before we can recommend this game as a solid and worthy title.

Ratings (scale of 1 to 5):

Graphics: - 4.5 - Bright colorful visuals fit the theme well.
Sound: - 4 - Fun soundtracks and effect work well.
Controls: - 3 - Unresponsive controls could use an update.
Gameplay: - 3 - Has some fun points and some potential. Gameplay needs some beefing up.

Playing Hints and Tips:

-Watch out for bad chocolates!

App Facts:

Developer: Zatun
Release Date: Jan 7, 2011
Price: $0.99
Buy App: I Luv Chocolat

-----------------------------------------------------

Check out our full list of iPhone/iPod touch game reviews:
http://www.mobiletechreview.com/iPhone-game-reviews.htm

Check out our other iPad game reviews:
http://www.mobiletechreview.com/iPad-game-reviews.htm
-----------------------------------------------------

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

Extra information
2 registered and 218 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Tong Zhang, LisaG, News, Jacob_Spindel 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4284

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage