Tong ZhangModerator
Senior Editor

Reged: 06/26/02
Loc: Texas
iPad Game Review: Romance of Rome HD
      #40091 - 03/01/11 09:30 AM

iPad Game Review: Romance of Rome HD
Reviewed by Tom Slayton

Romance of Rome HD (like its iPhone/iPod Touch counterpart) is a hidden object game. In it, you will pore over 30 levels spread over 17 different locations in an effort to find an eclectic assortment of objects in what amounts to a beautiful and relaxing scavenger hunt. If you've played hidden object games before then you know exactly what I mean. If you haven't, well, you will likely be as surprised as I was at how enjoyable they can be.

Gameplay

As I mentioned, Romance of Rome HD (RoR) is a hidden object game. Throughout, you will be presented with a variety of nicely drawn images and asked to find the oddest assortment of objects imaginable. In each level, you will see the outline of the objects you are searching for at the bottom of the screen. Some of these objects can only be found inside other objects, forcing you to move back and forth between levels to progress. This gives RoR a bit of an adventure game feel, and saves it from feeling repetitious. Along the way, you will unravel the story, although, I must confess that I didn't pay much attention to it. You will also collect coins to purchase clothing and accoutrements for your Roman avatar, which will contribute to your fame.

If you've ever played other G5 hidden object games you may be disappointed to find that RoR doesn't have the built-in puzzles that some of their other offerings have. On the other hand, if you've ever played other G5 hidden object games, you may be relieved to find that RoR doesn't have the built-in puzzles that some of their other offerings have. Also consistent with other G5 offerings, RoR is NOT timed. I can't tell you how important this little design decision is in our household. It literally means the difference between a game getting played a lot and one getting played not at all. Lastly, the touch interface is very responsive and accurate; definitely a "gotta have" in a game like this.

My 6-year old son, Cooper, dearly loves these types of games, and he gives RoR a big thumbs-up.

"This game is awesome! I like that it doesn't have a timer. I don't like timers. I like that it's not scary. I like looking for coins to buy stuff. I wish it had puzzles."

Graphics

The graphics of RoR are first-rate. This is no small issue with games of this type as poorly drawn or low resolution art can render it unplayable. Neither my son nor I found ourselves squinting or wondering what we were looking at. Additionally, the colors are vibrant and varied, giving the whole game a cheery, pleasant feel. As Cooper alluded to previously, the art in this game is very gentle and appropriate for children; definitely a plus from a parenting standpoint.

Sound

The sound effects consist mainly of subtle clicks, beeps, snaps, etc. Thankfully, these are sparingly used and serve mainly to indicate that you?ve successfully selected something. The soundtrack is actually quite nice. I found myself leaving it on while I played; something I generally do not do.

Conclusion

Romance of Rome HD is a very good hidden object game. The graphics are well-drawn and the objects just difficult enough to be challenging without being frustrating. The lack of in-game puzzles may disappoint some hidden object veterans, however, the ability to purchase items for your avatar is a fresh idea, and one that both my son and I found quite satisfying.

Ratings (scale of 1 to 5): 4 A solid hidden object game with great graphics and a great interface. The lack of in-game puzzles keeps this game from perfection.

Graphics: - 5 - Crisp, vibrant, high-resolution graphics.
Sound: - 5 - Functional yet subtle sound effects and a surprisingly good musical score.
Controls: - 5 - An intuitive and accurate interface.
Gameplay: - 4 - Great hidden object goodness but no puzzles.

Playing Hints and Tips:

There is no penalty for utilizing the hint system. Try to make sure you have one ready to help you with the last object as I typically enjoyed that last maddening hunt quite a bit less than the others.

App Facts:

Developer: G5 Entertainment
Release Date: February 16, 2011
Price: $6.99
Buy App: Romance of Rome HD

-----------------------------------------------------

Check out our full list of iPhone/iPod touch game reviews:
http://www.mobiletechreview.com/iPhone-game-reviews.htm

Check out our other iPad game reviews:
http://www.mobiletechreview.com/iPad-game-reviews.htm

-----------------------------------------------------

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 85 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Tong Zhang, LisaG, News, Jacob_Spindel 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4468

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage