Senior Editor

Reged: 06/26/02
Loc: Texas
iPhone Charging Station Review: Energizer Qi Inductive Charger
      #40357 - 04/04/11 05:19 PM

iPhone Charging Station Review: Energizer Qi Inductive Charger
Reviewed by Tong Zhang

Editong's Ratings (1-5): 4

What's Hot: Convenient and safe when charging without wires, and charges three devices at the same time.

What's Not: Supports only 4 devices.

Anybody who speaks Chinese knows that Qi describes the energy in your body. Energizer Qi Inductive Charger uses the name and perhaps the metaphor for a charging solution that's, like Qi in your body, free of wires. The Energizer Qi Inductive Charger is one of the few on the market that use electromagnetic field to transfer power from the charging pad to your device wirelessly. The Energizer works smoothly with supported devices and requires no extra steps other than plugging the charging pad into a power outlet and sliding your device into a charging sleeve. The Energizer Qi currently works with four device models: the iPhone 4, the iPhone 3GS and 3G and the BlackBerry Curve 8900.

Charging the iPhone 4 front view and back view:

Design

The Energizer Qi Inductive Charger has a very simple design that includes a small charging pad that's slightly bigger than the size of two smartphones and sleeve jacket that goes on your device. Once you plug in the charging pad, two LED lights above the charging areas will light up for a few seconds, indicating the charging station is ready for use. The two inductive charging areas are marked clearly with the ?Qi? symbols so that you know exactly where you should place your devices. The sleeve for the iPhone 4 is very thin, and once you slide your phone into the jacket, place it on the ?Qi? symbol, it will start charging. When a device is charging, the LED above that device will light up on the charging pad.

What if you have an additional gadget that?s not supported by the Energizer Qi? As long as it can be charged via a USB port, you can charge it via the built-in USB charging port on the Energizer Qi. So the charging station can potentially charge three devices at once.

Features

The Energizer Qi Inductive Charger is very easy to use, and provides the freedom of taking a quick phone call or checking email quickly during a charging cycle. The Energizer Qi Inductive Charger outputs 5W or less power to the wireless charging ports and it takes about 3.5 hours to fully charge the iPhone 4 from zero power.

When the inductive charging ports are in use, the Energizer Qi emits a low clicking sound, like a watch ticking in low volume. You shouldn?t hear it in rooms with computers, external hard drives, and other electronics also produce background noise; but if you use the Energizer Qi in a very quiet room you can hear the low ticking sound. When not charging anything, the Energizer Qi can be left plugged in and it doesn?t get hot.

The USB charging port on the back supplies 5V, 500mA power for any additional phones, MP3 players, eBook readers and more. We tested it with several devices including the Proporta USB TurboCharge battery pack, the Energizer Qi worked with all of them.

Charging the iPhone 3GS and BlackBerry Curve 8900:

What the Kit Includes

The Qi Inductive Charger comes with the charging pad and an AC charger. Energizer sells the charging sleeves separately.

Conclusion

Electromagnetic inductive charging is futuristic and a provides certain freedom of wireless charging. If you can use the sleeve as your phone?s case, you will enjoy the convenience of putting your device down on the charging pad to charge without connecting to a cable. If not, you will need to go through exchanging cases every time you charge your device. The Energizer Qi works flawlessly with supported devices on the inductive charging pad and other devices via the USB charging port. It does limit to only the supported models, and Energizer hints that if this sells well, more device support will come.

Specs:

Dimensions: 7.92 x 7.27 x 0.93-0.39 inches
Weight: 1.13 lbs

Price: $89 for the Energizer Qi Charging Pad; $34.99 for each Qi sleeve
Web site: Energizer

Buy it from Amazon
Compare prices on PriceGrabber

-----------------------------------------------------

Check out our iPhone and iPod product reviews:
http://www.mobiletechreview.com/iPod.htm

-----
MTR News

Edited by Jacob_Spindel (04/05/11 11:43 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Jacob_SpindelModerator
Moderator and writer

Reged: 11/21/05
Re: iPhone Charging Station Review: Energizer Qi Inductive Charger [Re: Tong Zhang]
      #40364 - 04/05/11 11:45 AM

Thanks for the review! That product is a cool idea, but most of those smartphones are devices you'll also want to sync with your computer anyway, so I would think you'd have to take the sleeves on and off all the time. Also seems a bit pricey for not including any sleeves.

--------------------
Chief iPod Correspondent
Senior Time Waster
Extreme Moderator
Moderate Extremist
Captain of the Planet Express
Assistant Jedi Librarian
--------------------

Tong ZhangModerator
Senior Editor

Reged: 06/26/02
Loc: Texas
Re: iPhone Charging Station Review: Energizer Qi Inductive Charger [Re: Jacob_Spindel]
      #40365 - 04/05/11 11:55 AM

I agree, the sleeve jacket probably won't be your normal case. But if my iPhone 4 needs charging when I'm not usually using it, I'd exchange the case and leave it on the charging pad until it's charged. It has replaced the charging cable for me.

Good point on pricing. I've now included some shopping link so that you can shop around for better prices. I will include these in future reviews!

-----
MTR News

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 76 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Tong Zhang, LisaG, News, Jacob_Spindel 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 13197

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage