MobileTechReview.com logo
MobileTechReview News, Reviews and Forums
Phone Notebooks & Tablets Gaming Gadgets iPhone & iPad Video Reviews

General Discussions >> What Should I Buy?

Pages: 1
angelicman

Reged: 08/01/08
Loc: California
Thin Laptop
      #40673 - 05/18/11 12:44 PM

Would you advice me which laptop I should get? I like thin and light weight. I have an old 14 inch, which I would like to replace, and I think the size is a great compromise. I would like trying smaller one, but I am afraid in the long term, my eyes will get tired seeing small screen. My eyes is still good. I am near sighted, and so I can read well (short distance), but can't see far that well. My budget is $1000 and under. Which is the best laptop for me for my budget? Performance is always my priority. I like snappy machine, and I don't play game (it is mostly for business). Thank you.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
Re: Thin Laptop [Re: angelicman]
      #40675 - 05/18/11 08:19 PM

I'm nearsighted and I don't have problems with 13.3" notebook displays. In fact, I find 12.1" and 12.5" fine as well. You can adjust font sizes in Windows and in individual apps if necessary to make text larger.

There are several thin and lights on the market these days that don't cost an arm and a leg. These are all around $1,000 or under:

Toshiba Portege R835 (the update to the R705 we reviewed and liked quite well)
Sony Vaio S series
Lenovo ThinkPad X220 (depending on config might run over a grand but they do have coupons and deals). This is the highest end of the bunch.
Lenovo ThinkPad Edge 420s- it's a 14" that we'll be posting a review of soon, but it's extremely light and thin for a 14" machine... around 4 lbs.

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

angelicman

Reged: 08/01/08
Loc: California
Re: Thin Laptop [Re: LisaG]
      #40824 - 06/13/11 05:25 PM

Thank you Lisa. I ended up getting ThinkPad X1. All the reviews I read of X1 (including yours ) stated the battery's life is about 4 to 5 hours. Mine never go beyond 2 hours 15 minutes. I called Lenovo, and it says 5.2 hours of battery life is stand by. I feel it is misleading stating battery life of 5.2 hours if it is only stand by. Also, Lenovo says the battery is 4 cell instead of 6 cell like most reviews says. The spec on the Lenovo's website says 38.4Wh. I don't know what 38.4Wh is. My question is when mfg says 5.2 hours, is it referring to standy by or usage or mix? I can live with 4 hours, or even 3 hours, especially it quickly recharge it. But, it is a big disappointment when it is only about 2 hours. Thank you Lisa.

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
Re: Thin Laptop [Re: angelicman]
      #40825 - 06/13/11 06:20 PM

Manufacturer specs for laptop battery life refer (and should refer) to use time. Sounds like tech support was snowballing you. I still have my X1 and the battery lasts way longer than 2 hours 15 minutes unless the notebook is doing something very demanding like 3D rendering or video production. Something is definitely wrong.

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Board Mom, LisaG, Jacob_Spindel, Greg, Tong Zhang 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3499

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage