Tong ZhangModerator
Senior Editor

Reged: 06/26/02
Loc: Texas
iPad Case Review: Pelican i1075 Hardback Case for iPad and iPad 2
      #42124 - 02/01/12 03:08 PM

iPad Case Review: Pelican i1075 Hardback Case for iPad and iPad 2

Editor's Ratings (1-5): 4.5

What's Hot: Classic Pelican toughness, now for your iPad. Clever design provides room for Bluetooth keyboard and lots of accessories. Integrated easel. Works with Smart Cover.

What's Not: No handle. If you don't have a Smart Cover you will need to fill the extra space with a soft cloth to keep your iPad stable.

Reviewed by Tom Slayton

The Pelican i1075 Hardback is a super rugged case for your iPad or iPad 2 that is dustproof, watertight, and crushproof.

Size and Fit

The i1075 Hardback is roughly 12.5" x 10" x 2", making it one of the larger cases available for the iPad. However, considering the level of protection this thing provides, it seems like a fair tradeoff for those who intend to place their iDevice in harm's way. The interior of the case has been thoughtfully molded to provide space, not only for your iPad, but also for a Bluetooth keyboard, charge cable (and adaptor), and headphones. The iPad itself nestles nicely into the preformed soft foam cradle as does Apple's Bluetooth keyboard. The i1075 has been designed with the Smart Cover in mind, which is great if you use one. However, for the rest of us, this means that your iPad will be slightly loose unless you place a soft cloth on your device to take up the free space. Not a huge deal, but something to keep in mind.

Features and Quality

As with all Pelican products, this thing is tough. It is billed as dustproof, watertight, and crushproof, and I believe it. It's large and somewhat heavy as a result, however, because you will generally remove your iPad to use it, this shouldn't be a problem. I say "generally" because there are times when you may want to take advantage of the case's built-in easel to prop up your iPad for typing on a Bluetooth keyboard (not included), which happens to fit conveniently in the case as well. This case effectively solves two of the most nagging problems of using an iPad with a keyboard (keyboard storage and safely propping up your device), and is a welcome feature. Both landscape and portrait modes are supported, by the way. If you're worried about the keyboard scratching or marring your iPad, fear not. The soft foam liner has been designed to prevent them from coming into contact during storage. My only complaint is the absence of a handle on the case. You are provided with a good quality strap, however, which may prove to be more useful in the long-run.

Style

Pelican has never been about style, and the i1075 is no exception; this case is pure function. However, the lines are clean and sleek, and it somehow manages to avoid looking clunky, in spite of the fact that it doesn't try to be pretty. Though the case doesn't come with a handle, it does come with a shoulder strap so that you can carry your tablet and keyboard in the case like a bag.

Summary

If you need the protection and don't mind the extra bulk, you won't find a better iPad case than the Pelican i1075 Hardback. It's tough as hell, and thoughtfully designed to maximize the space within. I sort of miss not having a handle, but I've gotten used to the strap, and I suspect you will to.

Price: $79.99
Web site: Pelican

---------------------------------------------------

Buy it from Amazon

-----------------------------------------------------

Check out our iPhone case reviews:
http://www.mobiletechreview.com/iPhone-Case-Reviews.htm

Check out our iPad case reviews:
http://www.mobiletechreview.com/iPad-Case-Reviews.htm

-----------------------------------------------------

----

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 106 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Tong Zhang, LisaG, News, Jacob_Spindel 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 9106

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage