General Discussions >> News

Pages: 1
LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
New iPad Video Review - 3rd Gen iPad
      #42366 - 03/16/12 09:49 PM

Unless you've been pleasantly away visiting Atlantis these past few weeks, you've no doubt heard about Apple's latest tablet that went on sale today. The new iPad, or iPad 3 or third generation iPad (whatever you prefer to call it), features a 9.7 Retina IPS display with a fairly mind boggling 2048 x 1536 resolution. Does it look better than the iPad 2? Yes it does; fonts are silky smooth and both contrast and color gamut and improved. Is it earth shatteringly better? Not to our eyes.

For those of you who use cellular data with the iPad, the 4G LTE option is a huge improvement, assuming you'e in an AT&T or Verizon Wireless coverage zone. Verizon has 200 markets covered, so the odds are good. AT&T has significantly fewer markets since they're in the early phases of their rollout, but you do get fallback to also quite speedy HSPA+. The new iPad 4G model is not carrier locked, so you can actually swap micro SIM cards from different carriers. Interesting...

Pricing remains the same as first and second gen iPads at launch, so the WiFi only 16 gig model is the cheapest at $499, and the 64 gig 4G model is the most expensive at $829. There are many price points in between and both WiFi and 4G + WiFi models are available in 16, 32 and 64 gig capacities.

The rear 5 megapixel camera is leaps and bounds ahead of the iPad 2, which isn't saying much. But it's right up there with the iPhone 4s, and that is a compliment.

Here's our new iPad video review. Our full written review will follow in the coming days.

-

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Jacob_SpindelModerator
Moderator and writer

Reged: 11/21/05
Re: New iPad Video Review - 3rd Gen iPad [Re: LisaG]
      #42367 - 03/17/12 12:06 AM

Thanks!

I want one so bad that I just submitted an order at $150 over list price! Eep! (Yes, I am crazy.)

Is it compatible with the same Smart Covers used by the iPad 2? (I haven't gotten the entire video to load yet, sorry if you answered that already.)

--------------------
Chief iPod Correspondent
Senior Time Waster
Extreme Moderator
Moderate Extremist
Captain of the Planet Express
Assistant Jedi Librarian
--------------------

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
Re: New iPad Video Review - 3rd Gen iPad [Re: Jacob_Spindel]
      #42368 - 03/17/12 11:17 AM

At 5 minutes to 9 last night, our Apple store still had them in stock, why did you have to pay more than list price to someone else? Best Buy had them too.

The camera and mic are slightly moved, but otherwise the new iPad fits in iPad 2 cases (can be a little snug).

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

Jacob_SpindelModerator
Moderator and writer

Reged: 11/21/05
Re: New iPad Video Review - 3rd Gen iPad [Re: LisaG]
      #42370 - 03/17/12 11:32 AM

Quote:

At 5 minutes to 9 last night, our Apple store still had them in stock, why did you have to pay more than list price to someone else? Best Buy had them too.

I had a "brilliant" idea to trade in lots of video games and other stuff to Amazon for Amazon credit and use that to buy a new iPad. Amazon itself still doesn't have any new iPads in stock, but its partner merchants are finally starting to trickle in a few units. Unfortunately, these merchants are well aware of the fact that supplies on Amazon are so constricted that they can pretty much charge whatever they want.

I could continue waiting until Amazon itself gets iPads in stock, but they have refused to provide any specific date when that will happen. Maybe they just want you to buy a Kindle Fire instead?

Suffice it to say, I will probably not try this strategy again.

I actually did see the part of the video that talked about cases, but the Smart Cover is not just a case. It also communicates with the iPad and has technical functionality, so just getting it to fit physically might not be enough.

--------------------
Chief iPod Correspondent
Senior Time Waster
Extreme Moderator
Moderate Extremist
Captain of the Planet Express
Assistant Jedi Librarian
--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 191 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Tong Zhang, LisaG, News, Jacob_Spindel 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 9145

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage