General Discussions >> News

Pages: 1
LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
Nokia Lumia 1520 Video Review - the First Windows Phone Phablet
      #45679 - 11/25/13 01:33 PM

And now for those who want something smaller than the Nokia Lumia 2520, we have the Nokia Lumia 1520 smartphone, released at the same time as Nokia's first Windows tablet. The Lumia 1520 has a few firsts as well: it's the first Windows phone phablet, the first with a full HD display and the first to sport a quad core processor. Nice! Though the 6" Lumia 1520 might be too big for some, there's no denying the temptations of a Windows Phone that finally competes spec for spec with flagship Android phones. And the Lumia manages to beat most with its 20 megapixel main camera with dual LED flash and Carl Zeiss lens.

The Lumia 1520 is exclusive to AT&T in the US, and it's available in red (our model), black, yellow and white. All have a matte finish except the red that's glossy. We love the red's look, but it is both large and slippery. The black looks very classy and the yellow... well it's a signature color that we loved on the Nokia Lumia 1020. In all cases, you're looking at a 7.26 ounce phone, and though it's a little lighter than HTC's notoriously heavy HTC One max, it's still almost as heavy as the Kindle Paperwhite 6" E-Ink eReader. That said, it's more compact than the Paperwhite, thanks in part to the different display aspect ratio, but also because phone makers like Nokia work hard to make even their phablets as compact as possible.

The Nokia Lumia 1520 has a 6" IPS full HD display with glove-friendly touch and Nokia's ClearBlack technology. This is a 4G LTE smartphone with 16 gigs of storage and a microSD card slot for storage expansion. The phone runs on a 2.2GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 quad core CPU with 2 gigs of RAM and Adreno 330 graphics, making it the fastest Windows 8 phone to date. It should have the necessary specs to receive OS updates for some time to come, though that's up to Nokia and Microsoft. The phone has Bluetooth 4.0 and dual band WiFi 802.11ac as well as NFC.

Once you move past the superb display and size of the phone, the 20 megapixel camera with Carl Zeiss lens and dual LED flash steal the show. Granted, it's not as impressive as the Nokia Lumia 1020 and it's 41MP shooter (nothing is), but it's better than most high end camera phones on the market. Like the Lumia 1020, by default it shoots a moderate resolution 5MP image and a full res 19MP image that you can use for print and lossless zooming via crop.

Here's our video review of the Nokia Lumia 1520. Our full written review will follow.

Related:

Nokia Lumia 1020 Review

-

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Jacob_SpindelModerator
Moderator and writer

Reged: 11/21/05
Re: Nokia Lumia 1520 Video Review - the First Windows Phone Phablet [Re: LisaG]
      #45681 - 11/25/13 04:12 PM

Is there any connection between Windows Phone OS and Windows RT? (For example, is it possible to make software that runs on both?)

--------------------
Chief iPod Correspondent
Senior Time Waster
Extreme Moderator
Moderate Extremist
Captain of the Planet Express
Assistant Jedi Librarian
--------------------

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Re: Nokia Lumia 1520 Video Review - the First Windows Phone Phablet [Re: Jacob_Spindel]
      #45682 - 11/25/13 04:20 PM

There are a lot of shared APIs and such, and code sharing is a possibility. But one must still compile WP and RT apps separately. Microsoft has an article about that here:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windowsphone/develop/jj714089(v=vs.105).aspx

--------------------
Lisa Gade

Jacob_SpindelModerator
Moderator and writer

Reged: 11/21/05
      #45684 - 11/25/13 05:32 PM

Ah, I see... only Microsoft could simultaneously release four distinct development platforms and call it "platform convergence."

--------------------
Chief iPod Correspondent
Senior Time Waster
Extreme Moderator
Moderate Extremist
Captain of the Planet Express
Assistant Jedi Librarian
--------------------

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Re: Nokia Lumia 1520 Video Review - the First Windows Phone Phablet [Re: Jacob_Spindel]
      #45685 - 11/25/13 06:39 PM

The operating systems share libraries and APIs, but like Mac OS X and iOS, they're still distinct operating systems so it can't be as simple as compile once and run everywhere. On the other hand, developing Windows 8 exe Metro apps + RT however requires very little added work, from my understanding.

--------------------
Lisa Gade

ibod

Reged: 10/21/12
Loc: SC USA
      #45693 - 11/26/13 06:01 PM

the deal AT&T currently have running for the 1520 (or 925 or 1020) plus the 2520 for $299 plus a voice & data plan for 2 years was too difficult for me to resist. especially with the free keyboard/battery case for the 2520 and a $10 gift card as sweeteners.
I wasn't really looking for a new phone as I have a nokia 808 pureview which is everything I need but the opportunity to try one of these phablets was there to take.
I still have misgivings for using a phone that large against my head a bluetooth ear piece and relief for my deteriorating eyes might make the 1520 well worth the attempt.
if the specifications weren't quite so good, I think there might be some difficulty marketing this but it stands out in an evolving market right now.

thanks for the reviews, they helped a lot with my decision.

LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Re: Nokia Lumia 1520 Video Review - the First Windows Phone Phablet [Re: ibod]
      #45694 - 11/26/13 06:21 PM

I concur, that is a deal that's incredibly tempting! That's a lot of stuff for the price, and very nice stuff at that. I hope you enjoy them both!

--------------------
Lisa Gade

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 55 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Tong Zhang, LisaG, News, Jacob_Spindel 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 10723

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage