General Discussions >> News

Pages: 1
LisaGModerator
Head Honcho

Reged: 07/11/02
Loc: Texas
Lenovo ThinkPad X240 Video Review
      #45955 - 01/24/14 11:43 AM

The ThinkPad X Series has always been among our favorites for their blend of extreme portability, durability and fantastic keyboards. We also appreciated the Wacom pen option, but with the new ThinkPad X240, that feature has migrated to the also 12.5" ThinkPad Yoga. The X240 slims the X series even further, and brings extreme battery life. The 3 lb. Ultrabook is available with Intel Haswell 4th generation ULV Ultrabook CPUs, from Core i3 to Core i7-4600U with Intel HD 4400 graphics. Unlike the ThinkPad X1 Carbon, the somewhat thicker X240 has upgradable internals including a 2.5" drive bay, mSATA bay, RAM slot and a socketed wireless card.

Though the ThinkPad X240 isn't as skinny as the X1 Carbon and some competing Ultrabooks, we forgive it since the extra space allows for those upgradable internal components and for the excellent keyboard. While the keyboards on the Yoga series of ThinkPads and IdeaPads have suffered in the name of skinniness, the X240's keyboard is superb. Good key travel, excellent tactile feel, curved keys and backlighting: it's a typist's dream. The trackpad is Lenovo's new buttonless model, and I'm sure some TrackPoint fans will lament the departure of physical buttons, but I found it easy enough to get used to.

The ThinkPad X240 starts around $890 for a base Core i3 model with a 500 gig HDD, while the mainstream Core i5-4200U with a 128 gig SSD, dual band Intel WiFi and 8 gigs of RAM approaches $1,200. You can go higher of course, with the Intel Core i7-4600U and even larger capacity SSD drives. There are 1366 x 768 and 1920 x 1080 IPS touch screen options. The full HD option is a painful $330 additional.

Lenovo incorporates their new Power Bridge technology in the ThinkPad X240 and also the T440 that we’ll soon review. There’s a built-in 3 cell battery and a battery bay for a 3 or 6 cell battery. The external battery drains first, so you’re left with enough power to hot swap in another external battery. With the 3 cell battery that sits flush in the laptop, you get around 7.5 hours of battery life. With the bigger battery the machine can push 15 or more hours of actual use time. Impressive.

Here's our Lenovo ThinkPad X240 video review. Our full written review will follow.

-

--------------------
Lisa Gade
Editor in Chief, MobileTechReview

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 59 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Tong Zhang, LisaG, News, Jacob_Spindel 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 8305

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage