General Discussions >> News

Pages: 1
Tong ZhangModerator
Senior Editor

Reged: 06/26/02
Loc: Texas
OtterBox Commuter Series for iPhone 6 Review
      #47092 - 10/01/14 04:04 PM

The OtterBox Commuter case provides fantastic protection against drops, dust, and scratches with a minimum of bulk. The two-part is protective, versatile and built with quality material. It also offers ton of color options for the new iPhone 6.

Size and Fit

If you've ever held an iPhone 6, you know that it's thin; almost diabolically so in that it perpetually feels like it's intent on sliding between your fingers and kissing the ground. I'm sure not everybody feels that way, but if you're like me, the best part of thin and light in a smartphone is that when you add a case, it still feels pretty thin and pretty light. OtterBox's Commuter Series is all about moderation, so it fits this description quite nicely. Being content with two layers instead of the three present in the Defender Series, The Commuter achieves what I think is the ideal balance between protection and size. It's big enough to make it easy to hold onto, but it doesn't make your iPhone 6 look and feel like most Android devices. The Commuter installs easily without tools, although the included screen protector took the usual amount of fiddling and repeated applications thanks to my extreme fumble-fingeredness.

Features and Quality

The Commuter is best described as an everyday rugged case. It's designed to withstand the types of bumps and spills that would generally occur during normal use. Although the Commuter is not rated for protection from water, the port covers will likely repel small amounts of moisture in the same way they protect the ports against dust and dirt. Don't count on this protection though; this is simply an opinion based my personal experiences. If you're wondering about the difference between OtterBox's Defender and Commuter series, the Defender adds a foam-lined rigid inner plastic skeleton with a built-in screen protector, and puts the silicone on the outside of the case, presumably to make it bouncy. Personally, I prefer the Commuter line as it slides easily in/out of your pocket, doesn't collect lint, and the silicone isn't as prone to stretching when it's held firmly in place. As with previous iterations, the Commuter comes with a self-adhering screen protector. Unlike previous iterations, however, this one is designed to cover a 4.7" screen, and is therefore exponentially more difficult to install squarely without air bubbles. This is not the fault of the screen protector; it's just that the bigger the screen is, the harder it is to cover. At 4.7", you might want to ask your local jeweler or bomb technician to install this one.

Style

The Commuter is fully customizable via the OtterBox website. You can select from 4 different shell colors (black, white, dark blue, and teal) and 5 different silicone slipcovers (black, grey, medium blue, teal, and pink). Further, the black and white shell colors also offer a wallet option, which feature a slide-out compartment for cards and cash.

Summary

If you're looking for a rugged everyday case, the OtterBox Commuter is my new personal favorite. It's reasonably priced, solidly built, and strikes a nice balance between form and function. Highly recommended for students, commuters, and urban commandos.

Editor's Ratings (1-5): 5
What's Hot: Very tough without being overly bulky. Great price. Lots of color options, two of which include a wallet feature.
What's Not: Not rated to protect against water.
Price: $39.90
Web site: OtterBox

Reviewed by: Tom Slayton

-----------------------------------------------------

Buy it from Amazon

Check out our iPhone Case, bag, battery and keyboard Reviews at:
http://www.mobiletechreview.com/iPhone-Case-Reviews.htm

Check out our iPad Case, bag, battery and keyboard Reviews at:
http://www.mobiletechreview.com/iPad-Case-Reviews.htm

----

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

Extra information
2 registered and 2529 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Tong Zhang, LisaG, News, Jacob_Spindel 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 12037

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage