General Discussions >> News

Pages: 1
Tong ZhangModerator
Senior Editor

Reged: 06/26/02
Loc: Texas
Proporta Barbour Waxed Cotton Folio Case for iPhone 6 Plus Review
      #47393 - 12/08/14 03:32 PM

Proporta's Waxed Cotton Folio for iPhone 6 Plus is inspired by Barbour International's line of motorcycle clothing, and is even constructed from their famous waxed cotton. It's functional, fashionable, and features one refreshingly original feature.

Size and Fit

The Waxed Cotton Folio's shell is constructed from soft-touch ABS plastic, which is flexible enough to allow for easy installation but not so flexible that it will ever come off on its own. Once installed, it allows full and direct access to all buttons/ports/switches, yet adds only nominally to the size of your device.

Features and Quality

While I have reviewed a number of folio cases over the years, none of them have distinguished themselves in any appreciable way. That is, until I got my hands on Proporta's Barbour International Waxed Cotton Folio. If you find the product name a bit confusing, you're not alone. Proporta is the manufacturer of the case, while Barbour International is a well respected company with a long history of making high quality motorcycle clothing. In particular, they seem to be known for their line of waxed cotton jackets. Proporta worked with Barbour to design an iPhone case that fits the spirit of their traditions, and even managed to score some of their excellent waxed cotton for the outer covering. While the folio's caseback is rigid (constructed of ABS plastic), Proporta has bonded waxed cotton to the exterior, resulting in a folio that is highly water resistant, stain resistant, and extremely durable. The result is a folio case that is highly bump, scuff, and (likely) drop resistant (thanks to the rigid caseback), yet will resist stains, smudges, scratches, and scuffs. It's important to note that while the waxed cotton is highly water resistant, your phone is not as none of your devices ports or controls will be covered. My favorite feature of this folio case, however, is the hidden magnetic closure that lines the folio cover. It works perfectly, firmly holding the cover in place until you open it, and it does so without requiring you to fumble for snaps or other fasteners. Even better, the cover magnetically attaches to the back of your phone when open, eliminating the need to hold the cover in place while using your device, or worse, let it dangle [shudder]. My only gripe about the Barbour Waxed Folio is the fact that the mute switch is not accessible while the cover is closed. While I can understand why chose not to leave a gap in the spine of the cover, I felt it was important to point it out to all chronic violators of the unwritten Silence Your Cellphones rule that most enclosed spaces have.

Style

The Barbour Waxed Folio has got tons of style, but all of it is quite subtle and understated. The Barbour International Logo sits proudly on the front of the case, yet not obtrusively so, the waxed cotton has an air of ruggedness about it without looking aggressive, and the Union Jack on the inside flap is pleasingly weathered.

Summary

If you're in the market for a folio case with the rugged look of a weekend motorcycle hooligan, then look no further. Even if style isn't high on your list of important features, however, you will definitely appreciate the magnetic cover, the build quality, and the sheer functionality of high quality waxed cotton. Highly recommended.

Editor's Ratings (1-5): 4.5
What's Hot: Made from Barbour International's water resistant waxed cotton. Magnetic closures on cover also hold it open when in use. Understatedly masculine design. Rigid caseback provides great everyday bump/scuff/drop protection. Distressed Union Jack on inside of cover.
What's Not: Mute switch is not accessible while the cover is closed.

Price: $39.99
Web site: Proporta

Reviewed by: Tom Slayton

-----------------------------------------------------

Check out our iPhone Case, bag, battery and keyboard Reviews at:
http://www.mobiletechreview.com/iPhone-Case-Reviews.htm

Check out our iPad Case, bag, battery and keyboard Reviews at:
http://www.mobiletechreview.com/iPad-Case-Reviews.htm

-----------------------------------------------------

----

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 1134 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Tong Zhang, LisaG, News, Jacob_Spindel 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 5548

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage