General Discussions >> News

Pages: 1
Tong ZhangModerator
Senior Editor

Reged: 06/26/02
Loc: Texas
STM Harbour for iPhone 6 Case Review
      #47549 - 01/09/15 04:33 PM

STM's oddly named Harbour case looks like just another competent shell case until you open the hinge at the bottom, which functions as a viewing stand, and allows for easy docking.

Size and Fit

Installed, the Harbour will add a few barely noticeable centimeters to the thickness/width/length of your case. It fits snugly, but removes/installs easily thanks to the hinge at the bottom quarter, and provides full, open access to all controls and ports.

Features and Quality

There are many shell cases on the market, and many of them are quite good. In order to differentiate itself from the competition, STM designed their Harbour with a hinged bottom that can function as a viewing stand or allow docking with almost any device. While most people probably just charge their iPhones with the included Lightning Connector, many of us like to use 3rd party cables or docks of some sort. If, like me, you are in the latter group, you must usually remove the case completely to use these 3rd party solutions; something that I personally hate to do. Enter the Harbour, which allows me to dock with ease, or use 3rd party cables without taking an X-Acto Knife to my case. When I first looked at the Harbour I was immediately skeptical of the hinge, which is constructed of a piece of flexible plastic rather than mechanical parts. My concern was that it would wear thin over time and ultimately break off. So, I sat down to watch some TV and spent 20 minutes repeatedly flexing the hinge to see if I could get it to break with normal use. I estimate that I bent it back and forth over 200 times, after which I could clearly see that there was no sign of wear. Fantastic. Even without their unique hinged design, the Harbour is a very competent shell case, providing, what I estimate to be, better than average drop protection, thanks to it's robust construction. It also features a slightly raised edge on the front to protect your phone when laid face-down. Lastly, like all shell cases, the Harbour is not designed to protect against moisture.

Style

The Harbour features a 2-tone design, and is available in black, green, blue, and red. The colors are quite vibrant, however, so be sure to look at pictures before you buy, and if you need something subtle, stick with the black version.

Summary

In the crowded world of shell iPhone cases, the Harbour stands out with its unique hinge, durable construction, and great price. iPhone users who still like to dock their phone rather than plug it in to a charge cable, are particularly encouraged to check it out.

Editor's Ratings (1-5): 4
What's Hot: Hinged design works as a viewing stand and allows unhindered docking. Rugged enough to provide some drop protection. 4 color options. Inexpensive.
What's Not: No protection against moisture.
Price: $24.95
Web site: STM

Reviewed by: Tom Slayton

-----------------------------------------------------

Buy it from Amazon

Check out our iPhone Case, bag, battery and keyboard Reviews at:
http://www.mobiletechreview.com/iPhone-Case-Reviews.htm

Check out our iPad Case, bag, battery and keyboard Reviews at:
http://www.mobiletechreview.com/iPad-Case-Reviews.htm

----

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1010 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Tong Zhang, LisaG, News, Jacob_Spindel 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4889

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage