General Discussions >> News

Pages: 1
Tong ZhangModerator
Senior Editor

Reged: 06/26/02
Loc: Texas
uNu DX-6 iPhone 6 Battery Case Review
      #47666 - 02/05/15 09:13 PM

uNu's DX-6 Protective Battery Case for iPhone 6 provides a lot of juice, is solidly constructed, and provides some measure of drop protection; We're just not sure how much.

Size and Fit

The DX-6 is a battery case, and battery cases are heavy. Expect this one to add another 3 oz. to your iPhone 6's 4.5 oz. chassis. Also, batteries are bulky. The DX-6 will approximately double the thickness of your iPhone 6; this is the price of power. Lastly, the components that control the flow of electrons have to go somewhere, and as with every other battery case I've ever seen, the brains for this one (as well as the Lightning Port) reside at the base of your phone, extending its length approximately 0.5". The DX-6 fits the iPhone 6 perfectly, as you'd expect it to coming from uNu. All controls/ports/etc are directly available via cutouts.

Features and Quality

As long as you're not trying to take your phone from 5% to 100%, the 3000mAh of the DX-6 will probably be good for a couple of uses before needing to be recharged. In my tests, I was able to take my phone from 30% to 80% twice, and there was still some juice left. Of course, your mileage may vary due to climate, battery health of both devices, etc. Considering the fact that the iPhone 6's internal battery is only 1800mAh, I'd say this is a pretty generous capacity. I also found the construction of the DX-6 to be quite solid, giving me the impression that it would survive a reasonable drop. In fact, the full name of this product, Unu DX-6 Protective Case, implies that it is, in fact, reasonably rugged, and opens the door to a discussion on how protective it actually is. Unu's product description states that it is more durable than competing cases in drop tests, which I believe is probably true. Unfortunately, no actual drop rating is provided so I can't say definitively what would happen without testing it myself; something which I will not do willingly. This may be because the drop rating most often used, MIL-STD-810, is pretty rigorous (repeated 6' drops onto concrete, etc), and achieving this would most likely result in a much heavier case. So, unless you work in rugged environments and are likely to regularly drop your phone, the level of protection provided by Unu's DX-6 will likely be more than enough for you. Don't expect moisture protection, however, as the DX-6 is not rated to provide any. In fact, Unu has opted to provide direct access to all controls rather than use button/switch covers. I tend to prefer the latter, but their absence is not a dealbreaker. Lastly, because the base of the phone is completely covered by the case, Unu has thoughtfully provided a headphone extender, and has included speaker cutouts on the front of the case so you can still hear your jams.

Style

The DX-6 is available in 3 colors: Matte black, glossy white, and metallic red; and features a clean, angular shape.

Summary

With Unu's track record for quality battery cases, you'd be hard-pressed to find a better one for your iPhone 6. With its 3,000mAh capacity, rugged construction, and competitive price; the DX-6 is currently the iPhone 6 Battery Case to beat.

Editor's Ratings (1-5): 4.5
What's Hot: 3,000mAh capacity. Durable. Competitive price. Easy to install/remove.
What's Not: No moisture protection. No button covers. No rated drop protection.
Price: $79.95
Web site: uNu

Reviewed by: Tom Slayton

-----------------------------------------------------

Buy it from Amazon

Check out our iPhone Case, bag, battery and keyboard Reviews at:
http://www.mobiletechreview.com/iPhone-Case-Reviews.htm

Check out our iPad Case, bag, battery and keyboard Reviews at:
http://www.mobiletechreview.com/iPad-Case-Reviews.htm

-----

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 679 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Tong Zhang, LisaG, News, Jacob_Spindel 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4158

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact the Folks at MobileTechReview.com | Privacy statement Go to mobiletechreview.com homepage